Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2016   #106
bower
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, these results give me hope.
This april is colder than normal here. We had snow again last night, and another night of -2 C in the forecast this week. I've been monitoring the greenhouse temperatures and night time lows have shifted from 30's into 40's F in spite of the cold weather. My greenhouse has been running just 10 degrees F above outdoor temperature reported at the weather station. Compared to last year's figures, with a lot of mass mainly soil in large containers, and some water buckets, low temperatures were closer to 20 F higher inside.
The soil for my containers won't be available for a couple of weeks. Still I think I will move my tomato plants out there as soon as I can. Not ready to transplant but at least to get as much light as possible and start adapting to cold nights. They are just about four weeks old now.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #107
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
What??? No Kimberley, Mountain Princess nor Sophie's Choice?!
Thanks for the tips. Kimberley is indeterminante- no. Next year maybe Mountain Princess (seeds I have) and Sophis´s Choice if I get seeds.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #108
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Winter is over with us. Last frosty morning was April 29, 2016. I measured that day the temperature in a cold frame.
minimum outside temperature - 2 ° C, in frame + 3 ° C,
the maximum outside temperature of +15 ° C, in the frame + 35 ° C
Some tomatoes this suit the fluctuating temperatures (most Sarayev tomatoes, etc.), others not (Latah, 0-33, etc.).
On the first of May, I removed the window and frame, to the plants I put a small stick and tied the plants, because they still blowing pretty strong wind.
Once the nicer weather, I browse through all the plants individually and do some detailed photos.
Vladimír
PS.:Written on May 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duben 2016.JPG (40.1 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0113.JPG (522.0 KB, 356 views)
Old May 6, 2016   #109
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Vlado,
with that kind of weather you are doing an amazing Job. I though I was pushing the season.
I started planting out on 5th of April , with lows around 3C and highs about 13C.
Now after a month some of my plant are almost 60 cm tall and flowering. There are people on this and other message sites that are skeptic of what I do. They say that to plant tomatoes outside you have to have temperature in 50F t0 70F (12C to 21C).
Here is a shot of my garden in late April.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long shot.jpg (141.3 KB, 347 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #110
joebolin
Tomatovillian™

I live in zone 9B, so nothing like what you all are experiencing, but I decided to try Stupice this year in order to get early tomatoes. I had no idea that the tomatoes would be so early! It is May 10th, and I have one tomato that is orange, on its way to ripe and red. Several of the clusters on the plants should be ripe by Memorial Day. I will post about the taste of these early tomatoes soon.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/51eomzijrr..._3525.jpg?dl=0
joebolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #111
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

May 8 I conducted inspection of determinate varieties, I did the some notes and pictures. some of them indicate here:¨
Best in the cold frame fared varieties Saraev except 0-33. Most already are blooming Shakarnyi- six flowers; Otbor 1- five flowers; I-2 - four flowers. Of the other still have a lot of open flowers Jagodka and Stupice- four flowers.
Some varieties well not coped alternating low and high temperatures under glass during the day (from 1 ° C to 40 ° C). They have burned and damaged leaves, the plants are weak.
They have damaged and burnt leaves, these plants are - Jagodka, 0-33, 42 days and the worst is Latah.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0014.JPG (162.2 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0015.JPG (136.4 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0016.JPG (141.4 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0017.JPG (132.1 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0023.JPG (115.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0026.JPG (118.3 KB, 316 views)
Old May 11, 2016   #112
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Vladimir again for your insightful observations.
The trait of tolerating extremes under glass, is really important in our climate.
I noticed the same thing, that some plants that will do okay if you plant them later and outside, really can't tolerate the greenhouse extremes. Some kinds must be better to start later and put outdoors.
Even the plants that adapted well to low sunshine conditions here in the greenhouse in cloudy weeks, will nearly all wilt and scorch when there's a sudden change to sunny weather. After a few days of constant sun they also adapt to it and stop wilting, but the first day they are really shocked.
I have only one in my notes, that was especially tolerant of extreme changes, that is Yaponskiy Krab.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2016   #113
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Pink Pearly Orange is a det. variety that's my first to bloom & set fruit. Of course, it was started early - in March -, but overall, the description at Tatiana's tomatobase calls it early, and it should be more popular in Northern climates.
It's rapidly grown several flowering branches while staying relatively compact. Definitely a keeper, if the taste is as good as described!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #114
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I am testing new supports for my determinate tomatoes. In the picture are Sarayevs: I-2, Otbor 1, Shtambovyi, Gruntovyi, Druzhnyi and M-22.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0046.JPG (136.6 KB, 269 views)
Old May 24, 2016   #115
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Pearly Pink Orange already has many green fruits on it, and many more blossoms. It has beat all other varieties in speed and productivity - even micro dwarfs grown indoors.
If all goes well, my first PPO fruits will be ready in a couple of weeks. The fruits are lovely color of uniform pale green, no green shoulders whatsoever (whereas red Robin seems to have them).
Old May 24, 2016   #116
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Where you grow that tomato Pearly Pink Orange?
Vladimír
Old May 24, 2016   #117
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir: It's on my balcony.
The seeds are from Tatiana - I did sow them in March, so it's a very quick development.

But Azoychka and Sophie's Choice (at my Mom's place) are not too far behind either: they also have some green fruits in them! Growing outdoors in containers...
Old May 24, 2016   #118
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I attained the Saraev collection this year from Tatiana and am setting them out today. Last year I tried 0-33 and it did well, so the rest get a test in AK along with several other varieties.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #119
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

On plants is only a few small green fruit yet, but flowers in my opinion too. This year I will not have to limit the flowers, but next year I will prune determinate tomatoes on three stalks as in the picture. I we would cut the harvest from one plant, but advance the maturation.
Vladimír

PS.:The image is from F.Homola article on breeding tomato for cultivation in hotbeds (1950)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0003.JPG (138.5 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg ZL1949 2 Homola.JPG (56.7 KB, 229 views)
Old May 31, 2016   #120
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Kimberley is indeterminante- no. Next year maybe Mountain Princess (seeds I have) and Sophis´s Choice if I get seeds.
Vladimír
I can send you Sophie's Choice if you want some seed.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote