Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 30, 2015   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkh1 View Post
Yes, just like human beings, plants can also get copper poisoning
That is if you use a toxic concentration.

Quote:
And if you have horrific fungal problems, you can add a copper spray to Daconil (and I'm sure the other brands).

Good luck!
You can add the regimen, but I learned the hard way not to mix the 2 together. Major unwanted chemical reaction, and extremely clogged every part of the sprayer!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Yes I know it can hurt them as I used to much I was just curious if the rain today will lessen the damage done.
Yes, it will wash some away, but a powerful hose washing might be better. With copper, if you see the blue color on the leaves, your mix is too strong.
Old June 30, 2015   #18
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any helpful experience to add, but I just wanted to say we all have those moments and I hope your plants recover soon!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #19
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bipetal! I dont see any blue on my plants Marsha and they look completely normal for now. I will pray to the tomato goddess that my stupid mistake wont do too much damage.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Bipetal! I dont see any blue on my plants Marsha and they look completely normal for now. I will pray to the tomato goddess that my stupid mistake wont do too much damage.
Sounds like it might not be so bad after all!
Hey, sometimes ya just gotta chok it up to being a learning experience. After all, a horse doesn't get horse sense until he's been out to pasture for a while, right?
Old June 30, 2015   #21
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

LOL yeah, what's so bad is my wife handed me the tsp and I told her no-no dear the tblsp

Live and learn..
Old June 30, 2015   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
LOL yeah, what's so bad is my wife handed me the tsp and I told her no-no dear the tblsp

Live and learn..
Haven't you learned yet to have the final words, "yes dear"? Hee!
Old June 30, 2015   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I too have had stunted growth in new leaves and growth tips from over using copper. It happened when I was fighting a nasty case of Gray Mold and I used the maximum strength recommended and got some stunting but it went away in a few weeks and it did help with the GM. I've learned since then to use the minimum recommendation and have not had it happen again and I have used it several times twice in one week due to rain and still no problems. Of course I always spray very very early or very very late and that may be why I haven't had any problems. I tried using half strength but it just didn't work as well so I went to the minimum recommendation on the Southern Ag brand of one Tablespoon to the gallon. I now always spray a really bad problem with the bleach spray first and that takes care of the worst issues and then I follow up with the copper especially for Gray Mold or Septoria. I find that Daconil is far better for some diseases and copper is better for others but neither is very good at stopping a disease once it is started on a plant.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #24
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I have killed plants with too much liquid copper. The leaves turn brown and die. I no longer use that stuff or any fungicide.
I overdid it once too. I 86'd a couple of pepper plants, a bunch of zinnias, and two tomato plants with copper. I only use it as a last resort now, and 1/2 strength at most. The damaged parts turn from a light to a khaki brown, and it was irreversible. I experienced the curly growth on the tomato and decided to pull it and start fresh. I should have waited for it to recover, but lately I tend to have a very itchy trigger finger when it comes to culling--its helped me keep disease pressures at bay.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2015   #25
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Haven't you learned yet to have the final words, "yes dear"? Hee!
LOL she keeps waiting for that day to come but I'm so stubborn it will take quite awhile.
Old July 1, 2015   #26
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

A couple of excellent growers have picked up on one thing I thought I'd amplify. Copper, neem oil, and many other sprays should not be sprayed when it is over 90 and especially not in sunshine. At this point of the year in Texas, I think about the only safe time to spray those types of things is starting about 8:30 p.m. and rushing to get it done before it is pitch black. If you wait until morning, the temp is cooler, but, sun plus oils, copper, bleach spray, etc is no bueno! I've not noticed a problem with heat plus sun and foliar feeding with things like liquefied seaweed, fish, etc.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote