Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2016   #1
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Default Fukushima: Mutant tomatoes and corn scarier than GMO

I wonder if this is for real. If so, it is quite scary.

http://mrfitbody.com/2016/05/11/fuku...toes-and-corn/
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...ation-science/

http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/2013...s-debunked.htm

Some of the photos don't even originate from the fukishima area and are dated earlier than the accident.

Some of the other photos are just hype. Also, the title is misleading since it does not make a distinction between cis or trans GMO. One of which could occur naturally, not via human intervention.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #3
Clint M
Tomatovillian™

A science article was just published that was an extensive research on GMO. The final verdict is it has zero links to any of the variety of things blamed on GMO. I just wanted to chime in on the GMO, it has became a tainted term, however we all have the option to purchase what we choose. We as humans have been altering crops for many many years...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...food/84458872/
Clint M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #4
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

These are made up it seems to be and is not even subtle. Maybe that tomato should be entered for the large tomato contest, that would make the headlines and the seeds would be available...I don't think.

The sunflower would probably sell though

This was a very serious incident, I think this is disrespectful. Just my opinion but it makes me cross.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2016   #5
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

My concern is GMOs designed for herbicide resistance. That is another way of saying they are spraying herbicides on our food.

Recently there were reports of herbicide sprayed on oats shortly before harvesting to help dry the oats. I think someone filed a lawsuit claiming oatmeal was not natural because it had been sprayed with Round Up. The claims seem to have been somewhat exaggerated. However it got me thinking. I prefer herbicide free food.

I switched to Organic cereal, not to get away from GMOs but to get away from herbicides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint M View Post
A science article was just published that was an extensive research on GMO. The final verdict is it has zero links to any of the variety of things blamed on GMO. I just wanted to chime in on the GMO, it has became a tainted term, however we all have the option to purchase what we choose. We as humans have been altering crops for many many years...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...food/84458872/
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #6
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
...Recently there were reports of herbicide sprayed on oats shortly before harvesting to help dry the oats....
That's very interesting.

https://www.grain.org/bulletin_board...tional-capital

According to a research report released by the NGO Friends of the Earth, glyphosate was found in the urinalysis results of 44% of test subjects in 18 European countries (https://www.foeeurope.org/sites/defa...yphosate.pdf). And in the United States, where GMO plants are common, urinalysis revealed that American women have more than ten times the quantity of glyphosate in their system as European women! Not to mention tests run on the breast milk of American mothers have shown levels of glyphosate between 760 and 1600 times the amount considered safe to drink in Europe!

<snip>

The second risk factor is the widespread use of glyphosate within China, not only as an herbicide, but also as a desiccant on agricultural products.
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #7
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Think beyond the issues as they have been and are currently being argued.
The real question should be: why are we pushing so much grain and sugar based products?
Think about which crops are GMO. All grains and sugars.
Then you should question why they would ever be included on a regular basis in your diet, whether they were GMO or organic.
Basically, organic corn chips and organic Mac and cheese are still made from processed grains. Get them out of your diet. So many people spend too much time worrying about GMO and chemicals but are not looking at the nutritional quality of their food choices.
Just because my meal is 100% organic does not make it healthy.
I can buy organic soda, chips, Mac n cheese, chicken, and watermelon but they are not ideal foods.
GMO might be bad, but grains and sucrose/fructose are the first bad actors. The GMO part of the equation should be second tier to nutrient density and omega 3 to omega 6 ratios.
Just like a lot of things in life, we as a society run around and argue things and divide into groups, and miss the things we should really be focusing on.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Think beyond the issues as they have been and are currently being argued.
The real question should be: why are we pushing so much grain and sugar based products?
Think about which crops are GMO. All grains and sugars.
Then you should question why they would ever be included on a regular basis in your diet, whether they were GMO or organic.
Basically, organic corn chips and organic Mac and cheese are still made from processed grains. Get them out of your diet. So many people spend too much time worrying about GMO and chemicals but are not looking at the nutritional quality of their food choices.
Just because my meal is 100% organic does not make it healthy.
I can buy organic soda, chips, Mac n cheese, chicken, and watermelon but they are not ideal foods.
GMO might be bad, but grains and sucrose/fructose are the first bad actors. The GMO part of the equation should be second tier to nutrient density and omega 3 to omega 6 ratios.
Just like a lot of things in life, we as a society run around and argue things and divide into groups, and miss the things we should really be focusing on.
I agree with everything but the chicken and watermelon part.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #9
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Apparently, there are dedicated crop desiccants. In this document Monsanto recommends against using Roundup for that purpose as it is slower acting.

http://roundup.ca/_uploads/documents...ng%20Guide.pdf
Old May 24, 2016   #10
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Grains and cereals have been part of the human food supply for thousands of years. Now we're told they're bad for us?
Old May 24, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You can thank Kellog and his corn flakes and his ridiculous claims about meat and how it effects people and sex drive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg
Now people are paying big money for a box of worthless garbage not fit to feed to the hogs.
This stuff is so far removed from natural grain it is crazy.
Grain was put here for one reason and one reason only.
And that is to make good drinken Liquor.

Worth
Old May 24, 2016   #12
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

PureHarvest I agree, somewhat, with what you are saying. I have no trouble giving up most of the items you listed but melon!!? There would be no reason to go on living....
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #13
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I started this thread because I thought Fukushima might have caused mutated plant growth, but I was dubious about it. I guess the appearance of the "GMO" in the title lit an unintended fuse.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I started this thread because I thought Fukushima might have caused mutated plant growth, but I was dubious about it. I guess the appearance of the "GMO" in the title lit an unintended fuse.
I will never talk seriously about Monsanto or GMO's ever again here thus the reason for the idiotic posts from me.
As for the power plant I feel so sorry for those folks they lost so much.
Worth
Old May 25, 2016   #15
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Salsa, my apologies.
The fuku pics were debunked and the convo shifted and I couldn't help myself.
The shame of it is that they could easily be real pics. The situation there is so bad and the cover up and corruption rivals what we muster here.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote