Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 3, 2015   #1
Errol
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite tomato

What are most of your favorite tomato to grow for good taste, juicy and mostly disease resistant ?
Thanks
Errol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I hope you have a big garden because you'll get a different answer from everyone who responds and your future grow list will be HUGE! 😄😄😄

I'm still looking for my favorite.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol View Post
What are most of your favorite tomato to grow for good taste, juicy and mostly disease resistant ?
Thanks
I think it would be a good idea to share with us disease tolerances, no such thing as total resistance, to which specific diseases.

The prevalence of certain diseases is very different in different parts of the country. For instance, those of us in the colder zones don't have to deal with soilborne diseases for our main problems are with the foliage diseases. While those along the Eastern seaboard from maybe VA down to FL and the states that border the Gulf Coast up into CA have major problems with various soliborne diseases as well as viral diseases b'c the insect vectors for them are in the south but not in the far north.

All to say, it's a complicated situation, that's for sure.

Carolyn, who has no ONE fave tomato variety. <G>
Old July 3, 2015   #4
daninpd
Tomatovillian™

My two favorites for that perfect combination of taste and texture are Kellogg's Breakfast and Pink Berkeley Tie Dye. Both plant always do great. I don't have much of a disease problem here, the worst I've seen I think came in with the seed. Gophers on the other hand....
Old July 3, 2015   #5
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

When you discuss a favorite you really need to be explicit because we all have different criteria and they are not consistent, usually illogical, and change with our moods. For example a particular variety may have sentimental value, or it may be that we crave some sweet snacking tomatoes, or perhaps a big juicy tomato to go in a sandwich.

I love plants that can tolerate some disease, but when it comes to favorite it is all about the flavor when I take the first bite, so it doesn't matter how hard it was to grow, how bad was the yield or susceptible to pests in the general sense as soon as I have the tomato in my hand.

I don't have a single favorite, though they are always for fresh eating so usually the typical sauce ones are ignored. Every season there is generally one variety among those growing I can never get enough to eat and anticipate every single new tomato that I get. I repeat the same variety another season sometimes it is not one of the ones I'm crazy about for many reasons, so it really seems to depend on some things beyond my control.

This time around it is 'Purple Calabash', which is coming in too small, and is one of the ugliest tomatoes you've ever seen as far as its shape. It has a distinctive purplish color as it ripens, a huge nasty, depressed stem scar and unacceptably cardboardy core. But ... the flavor of the juicy parts is ... bewitching, really, truly, bewitching. Who knows how long its spell will last but I'm already craving one for breakfast, though I'm not a breakfast sort of tomato person. Someone else might find it to be a spitter-outer. That's ok, it's all about the flavor!

Someone else may grow for market so their favorite is the one that reliably makes the most money, and that's ok, I get that too.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #6
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRedHeart View Post

This time around it is 'Purple Calabash', which is coming in too small, and is one of the ugliest tomatoes you've ever seen as far as its shape. It has a distinctive purplish color as it ripens, a huge nasty, depressed stem scar and unacceptably cardboardy core. But ... the flavor of the juicy parts is ... bewitching, really, truly, bewitching. Who knows how long its spell will last but I'm already craving one for breakfast, though I'm not a breakfast sort of tomato person. Someone else might find it to be a spitter-outer. That's ok, it's all about the flavor!

Someone else may grow for market so their favorite is the one that reliably makes the most money, and that's ok, I get that too.

That is so interesting. I have read mainly negative reviews on Purple Calabash, even from people who love other dark tomatoes. (Which begs the question. if the flavor is so bad, why is such a tomato variety still around?)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #7
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
That is so interesting. I have read mainly negative reviews on Purple Calabash, even from people who love other dark tomatoes. (Which begs the question. if the flavor is so bad, why is such a tomato variety still around?)
If you are expecting a typical tomato, it might be like getting slapped in the face with high flavor and I could see where it might be unpleasant for some people. This variety seems to have a different acid profile, but the ones I grew didn't have a low pH, just different. You ought to give it a try, if for no other reason than to do something different. I can't do justice to the flavor, but the best I can do: mine remind me of cherry kijafa wine from Denmark!

Last edited by FLRedHeart; July 3, 2015 at 11:20 AM.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #8
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Always ready to try some new extreme experience. I have never had that danish wine, so I am entirely ignorant .. But I am curious. some day I might have a free spot for PC.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have few favorites but #1 is what you see in my avatar: It is called Ananas Noire ( a k a Black Pineapple). It is, I have read, pretty disease resistance too. To what extent ? I don't know it, b/c I have not have major disease issue recently.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote