Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 11, 2018   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default A tomato rot problem, what ?

Some some my tomatoes are sort of shrivaling and rotting in on themselves. Forgot to take pic, but it's not like a spotting rot, but more of a collapsing in/oosy rot and has a wrinkly look. Any thoughts??
Old September 11, 2018   #2
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Too much constant rain causing cracks and rot pathogens getting inside?

I have been picking mine at first blush all season to prevent cracking or other damage.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2018   #3
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Very hot and dry, then wet, humid, very hot for weeks in the NEast. Texas heat.
Usually still harvesting beauties but this year all is about over but a few dozen holding on.
Not exactly what you are describing but I've picked a few the past week that went straight to
the compost.
I did expect it seeing an exterior dark spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomato rot.jpg (413.3 KB, 92 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

It’s the same problem as blossom end rot, only it’s internal.
Same causes.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Your location gave it away it for me. There's too much rain happening there in PA this year. What Oakley showed in the picture - I also saw here in 2015 when it rained way too much.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

It does indeed look like ber. When there's a rot but doesn't spread around like you'd expect, it's something that happened when the tomato was immature (like ber)
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/onvegeta...m-end-rot/amp/

It is Internal blossom end rot.
Rather a misnomer because it’s not really rotten and it’s not on the blossom end but nevertheless that’s what it is.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #8
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Correct, it is Internal Blossom End Rot.

In most cases the rot usually forms at the base of the columella, the weakest part of the tomato, but not in this case.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #9
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Well if it is internal blossom end rot and is caused by uneven watering and stress we certainly had those conditions in PA this year. We had unending rain except for when we had blazing heat and high humidity.

My tomato harvest was about 50% lower than usual but I picked most of my tomatoes at first blush and brought them inside to prevent cracking or predation by insects or animals. This is the only way I was able to have a decent harvest this year. I am also glad that I use tall tomato cages because it gave the plants good airflow and helped them to dry off.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2018   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The causes of external BER and internal BER are very different.

I tried to find to find the article that Mike Dunton at Victory Seeds asked me to write

Well I found it,at least the first version and amended
it to discuss internal BER as I recall

\\http://www.webgrower.com/information/carolyn_ber.html

Internal BER occurs when not enough calcium makes it the blossom end where one can see the typical external symptoms.

One can't see internal BER until the fruits are cut open.

Maybe this might help as well

https://www.google.com/search?q=inte...&bih=788&dpr=1

Carolyn, hoping that the links work since I can't see that when previewing a post.Mike was generous in saying I'd grown 1000 tomato varieties but that's up to about 5,000 by now.
Old September 13, 2018   #11
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
Too much constant rain causing cracks and rot pathogens getting inside?

I have been picking mine at first blush all season to prevent cracking or other damage.
Don't know if your answer is scientific, but I think you got the closet. Definite outside visual signs of rot and it seems to be starting around the cracks. Thanks all. Found this pic on line and it is as close as I can get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (33.7 KB, 54 views)
Old September 13, 2018   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
Don't know if your answer is scientific, but I think you got the closet. Definite outside visual signs of rot and it seems to be starting around the cracks. Thanks all. Found this pic on line and it is as close as I can get.
Cecil,it doesn't matter at all if it's scientific,or not, at least to me..

What I see now in your picture was mentioned above,I see splitting opening a huge fissure,that has allowed probably one or more species of fungi,or even yeast to colonize it. Lots of different bacteria,fungi,yeast,etc.in the air

Due to rain. Stop the rain,ahem,or over watering,if that's happening as well.And as the rain falls the bacteria,yeasts, etc,become trapped in raindrops that fall on your plants. If no surface wounds on the fruit,not a problem,but if any open wounds,that's the problem.

How many plants do you have out there and which varieties are showing those symptoms more often than others.?

Carolyn
Old September 13, 2018   #13
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Cecil,it doesn't matter at all if it's scientific,or not, at least to me..

What I see now in your picture was mentioned above,I see splitting opening a huge fissure,that has allowed probably one or more species of fungi,or even yeast to colonize it. Lots of different bacteria,fungi,yeast,etc.in the air

Due to rain. Stop the rain,ahem,or over watering,if that's happening as well.And as the rain falls the bacteria,yeasts, etc,become trapped in raindrops that fall on your plants. If no surface wounds on the fruit,not a problem,but if any open wounds,that's the problem.

How many plants do you have out there and which varieties are showing those symptoms more often than others.?

Carolyn
I have 15, of which 14 are planted in 2 cubic foot bags of potting mix with a 4" square hole on top where the plant comes out. Water with refrigerator dispenser 2 1 /2 gallon jugs with spigot. The last a big beef is in a big tub and shows no rot. 1 Lucid gem with no rot. 4 Steak Sandwich with many many rotting, 4 Chef' s Orange F 2 or 3s, 1 unknown compact that came out of the Chefs Orange pack that is red has rot, 3 Big Daddy with no rot, but lots Sun scale and one near perfect Mt. Magic. The Steak Sandwich have really been cracking.