Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old August 27, 2016   #1
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Sunn Hemp for cover crop

I planted Sunn Hemp for cover crop for the first time this year in our field. I broadcast around 260 lbs to ~3 acres. We had an exceptionally dry spring and in some sections seeds dried before they had a chance to germinate but overall I got very good results in terms of vigor and growth speed. We have challenging growing conditions after Mid-June until mid-September due to humidity and heat but it looks like once the plants are established, they will thrive.

We will cut the plants and work them into soil, soon. I will also post pictures. Did anyone plant Sunn Hemp as a cover crop? If so, how did your soil and crop benefit in the following season?
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #2
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

This is our first time to try a Sudex with Sunn Hemp cover on our small patch. The Sudex grew about 3 ft in the six weeks since sown 7/14, and the Sunn Hemp about 2 ft. Will "mow" it to 1 ft when all are about 3 ft and till under in late Fall. Feeds the worms, suppresses RKN, retains moisture, adds organic matter and a little nitrogen.
http://www.tomatoville.com/picture.p...pictureid=2380
Old September 4, 2016   #3
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, sudex gets sugar cane aphids. Cut it down to the top of the sunnhemp and sprayed soapy neem water.

Last edited by decherdt; September 6, 2016 at 10:12 AM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote