Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 9, 2015   #91
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm back from my trip and I've moved my cabbage, spinach and lettuce outside to harden off. I don't want to jinx it but it does seem that spring may have sprung??? My compost has been delayed about three weeks. I believe the plan is to bring it on Wednesday. The tomatoes and peppers look happy in the laundry room. They've all been thinned and the fan is running on the tomatoes. I'll be starting flowers inside over the next day or two.

What have you planted and how is it doing??
Old March 10, 2015   #92
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

I played hooky from the office yesterday for a few hours and got to prep a spinach bed and help seed some beet trials. Very happy for warmer weather!!!

(But, long hours in the office doesn't translate into actual physical stamina out in the garden... gotta start building up my hoeing muscles again!)
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #93
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

My first big step outside so far- I bought broccoli plants, onion sets, and chive seed and pea seed and lettuce seed that are going out asap. I haven't started tomatoes yet.
Old March 12, 2015   #94
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm on the same page as Linz. Today I planted:

peas
cabbage
lettuce
radishes
onions
beets
spinach
parsley

My back is killing me but I'm happy.
Old March 13, 2015   #95
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Oh my gosh! All my zinnias germinated in under 48 hours, and the seed was already a year old. Impressive. So I sowed another flat today! Not sure where they'll all go but I'm sure I'll find a place for them.

It's finally beginning to look like spring here. I've seen some daffodils and I see buds on the trees. Though it's chilly here today, it's not nearly as bad as it was just two weeks ago so I won't complain.
Old March 14, 2015   #96
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

I hope to be more successful in the garden this year. I lost my garlic crop two summers ago due to excessive rain, I didn't do much at all last year.

Soon:

Snow peas
Comfrey
Maybe some garlic. Planting in mid-March, I'm curious to see what I get in July.
Still looking for giant pumpkin seeds
Brussels
Watermelon radishes
Old March 14, 2015   #97
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilsniffer View Post
I hope to be more successful in the garden this year. I lost my garlic crop two summers ago due to excessive rain, I didn't do much at all last year.

Soon:

Snow peas
Comfrey
Maybe some garlic. Planting in mid-March, I'm curious to see what I get in July.
Still looking for giant pumpkin seeds
Brussels
Watermelon radishes
Watermelon radishes will just bolt if planted here in the Spring- they are a fall crop. There are other radishes which will do fine in Spring. I'm a French breakfast fan myself.

Brussels Sprouts are pretty much a fall crop too although I never seem to have much luck with them. The season is so long that they have to do at least some growing in hot weather which is murder for brassica pests. They also taste better if they have seen some frost.

Dry, ground, dry!!
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #98
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Radishes, onions, and spinach in the ground here in the Southside. Tomato and pepper seedlings are looking very good.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #99
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Peas and spinach in....seedlings showing up,moved to lights...blueberries and raspberries purchased..now waiting for soil to dry some
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015   #100
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilsniffer View Post
Where'd you find seed garlic this time of year?
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015   #101
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

What is a good variety of blueberries to plant here in Virginia?
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015   #102
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

Last week I sowed some greens, peas, and put in some onion sets at my daughter's garden in NoVA.

I was there 3 weeks recuperating from a cardiac arrest episode and brief hospitialization. But I'm good to go (almost) and came back to SWVA on Sunday. I should get a full good-to-go from the doctor by 4/1 I hope.

Our 10- day looks pretty good for late winter.

I pruned 5 pear trees yesterday.

I've got 9 apples trees to do today. I'm going to try and get some early brassica, peas, beets, and cilantro direct seeded real soon too.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015   #103
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJessee View Post
Last week I sowed some greens, peas, and put in some onion sets at my daughter's garden in NoVA.

I was there 3 weeks recuperating from a cardiac arrest episode and brief hospitialization. But I'm good to go (almost) and came back to SWVA on Sunday. I should get a full good-to-go from the doctor by 4/1 I hope.

Our 10- day looks pretty good for late winter.

I pruned 5 pear trees yesterday.

I've got 9 apples trees to do today. I'm going to try and get some early brassica, peas, beets, and cilantro direct seeded real soon too.
I am happy to report that my Swiss Chard plants is still doing great, after being under all the snow we had here in Virginia. My carrots are doing find to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swiss Chard 2 Small Logo.jpg (503.7 KB, 71 views)
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2015   #104
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a lot of us have been busy, and that's a good thing.

We had good, soaking kind of rain all day yesterday. My radishes were the first thing up but that's no surprise. This morning I see beets coming up and also the later lettuce I sowed directly. Still no sign of my spinach or my onions or peas but it's only been 9 days.

Inside, I've started potting up the tomatoes and thinned zinnias. Every space under my grow lights is filled. Peppers, eggplant and basil look very happy.

Temperatrues here are up and down but mostly below average for this time of year. Still better than it was at the beginning of the month so I won't complain. Trees and flowers are blooming and that definitely makes it feel more like spring. Though it was chilly this morning when I let the dog out, it was nice to hear all the birds outside.
Old March 23, 2015   #105
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Strawberries, potatoes, onions, and broccoli plants planted outside.

Seed of letuce and peas planted outside.

I am sowing my tomatoes indoors this week, but my peppers are doing good.