Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 7, 2012   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default do you presprout beans?

If you presprout beans, how do you do it? Overnight soak, then a wet paper towel in a plastic bag? Soak until they sprout, changing the water twice daily?

I have a variety of older beans (2003-2008) and would like to plant them if they're viable, but I don't want to waste potting soil or garden space to find out. Someone also gave me some old corn -- I assume the same methods would work with corn?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

That's the best way to test older seeds. I had to pre-sprout some pea seeds this year that were 3-4 years old that were showing a bad germination rate in soil. Even if you get a low germination rate pre-sprouting, at least you know the good ones will likely turn into productive plants.
Overnight soak works good to hydrate larger seeds before you put them in a sealed container with a moist paper towel or coffee filter. A plastic zip lock bag works good, I also use plastic food storage containers. I use distilled water to minimize the chance of mold forming. Changing the water twice a day seems a bit extreme, but if you are using tap water, changing it once a day or even two days is probably a good idea.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2012   #3
salix
Tomatovillian™

No expert here, but in my experience beans do not like soaking for as long as peas. Peas I will soak overnight, beans just a couple of hours prior to planting. Of course, if the seeds are old and you just want to check germination rate, do the damp paper towel method until results are obtained.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I don't pre-soak beans, but I do soak old corn seed for 24 hours.

Germination in your garden may not mirror results in a controlled environment.
To not waste garden space, I plant old seed a few inches in front of (or behind) new seed, with a marker in between. If the old seed comes up, the new seed seedlings get pulled.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #5
peppero
Tomatovillian™

i always soak beans to give them an earlier start, usually 24 hours or until they swell to the right size. has worked for years. jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #6
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

No overnight soak. Just the wet paper towel and a ziploc bag. I used to put the filled bag on the top of the fridge, but this year just kept it on the counter, and got good germination.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote