Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 25, 2015   #1
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Cages?

My Dad has some cages made from Red Brand Fence Wire. I plan on using the the stinging method for my beds this year. I have the wood to make the supports and the string. His cages are too big around if I make them smaller and drop the string down to them will this work? Thanks in advance, Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If the cages are tall enough I dont see as to the need for string coming down from the top.
How big around (diameter) were they and what are they now and how tall?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2015   #3
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If the cages are tall enough I dont see as to the need for string coming down from the top.
How big around (diameter) were they and what are they now and how tall?

Worth
I would say they are 4' high by 3' around Worth. Would you change them in any way? Thanks in advance, Beale.
Old March 26, 2015   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

I don't think you will need string from the top. The tops of the plants will grow over and trellis down. I have 5 foot cages, and the only way I have kept them from growing over the top is to prune the tops.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2015   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

As far as the diameter goes 3 ft is fine the plants will grow in. No need to string anything from the top. You may need to add a cage if the variety you are grown is known to out grow 4 ft.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #6
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

The reason I am going to string is I want other veggies in my beds. If I do not I will not have room for them. I have onions, Carrots, and Bunch beens. I also have Cilantro, Orageno, Basil, and was even looking at Corn? Maybe I just do not have the room this year, Beale.
Old June 5, 2015   #7
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

I personally don't like to let my plants "sprawl" over the top and down the sides of cages.. I always end up with broken branches, and harder to get at fruit.. I use 8' stakes and I rig up some pvc for makeshift trellis' on top.. I just tie up as needed.. They're not the prettiest thing in the world, but in the future i'll be using bamboo once I get enough culms put aside..

Not the best pictures, as the plants were still young and not over the tops much, but you could see the pvc here.. They're kinda funny looking, but they get the job done for now...

Last edited by Mike723; June 5, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The things look good to me.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2015   #9
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Worth.. Eventually I'd like to make them out of bamboo, once I have enough culms.. For the short term I was thinking of painting them green but I'm not too keen on latex paint chipping off into the soil lol ..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote