Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 1, 2016   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I can see the day where I'll be picking up the swing to get the wrapped chains off the ceiling joist. There is a reason why I sometimes refer to them as grandmonsters.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #17
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Grandmonsters! LOL!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I wouldn't worry about the loading as much as the lateral stability of the hanger - in other words, the frame. A porch swing can anchor into the ceiling joists. You'll be in a free-standing frame. You may be a subdued swinger, but the kids will be going for height at some point. You'll want a lot stronger frame with a wider leg angle than the one in your original picture.

Might consider tying it to a tree (overhead branch?) for safety.
I have a picture I need to draw to show how to resolve this how it works and why.
The picture I drew isn't finished and is for lifting not swinging at least I hope not.
As for loading I have seen this things collapse when two grown men sit on the swing.
It is always a hook or eye straightening out.

This reminds me of the time a guy I worked with came over with his wife.
She sat in one of our new lawn chairs and it collapsed due to her 400 pound weight.
They used to make stuff that was sturdy now they dont for the most part.
Then they cover their tails by putting load limits on the product.

Take a ladder for example there is a reason they are red green blue orange and yellow.
Each one has a load limit of 200, 225, 250, 300, 375 respectively.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There was a time in my life I thought all of this stuff was common knowledge but after working with many people I realized it wasn't including my father.
This is why I am putting up pictures and trying to help anyone that is interested.
Here is a pictuer of two swing like things I think they are self explanatory.
The one on the right shows a regular A frame with the weight in the middle hanging straight down.
All of the energy is directed down.
In the same picture you will see the swinging weight on the outside of the frame.
Now some of the energy is directed outside the frame.
Due to leverage the leg closest to the weight is directed down but the leg farthest away it is directed up.
Once you get outside the frame you end up in the critical area and all of this force is reversed so to speak on the right leg.
There is also another thing at play the angle of the support legs.
Not only do they play a role in the critical zone of the swing they also play a role in leverage and center of gravity.
The second picture shows how you can overcome this with an imaginary line due to the fact you have put your frame at a 60 degree angle but installed two boards at the bottom increasing the angle and changing the center of gravity.
Levers gears pulleys inclined plains and yes even a swing works on this same principle.
You can speed things up change direction or slow things down in each case sacrificing one for the other.
Worth
Swing 1.jpg
Old May 1, 2016   #20
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

The board is a good idea. I like it.

From what I've seen of public swings, they set the legs in concrete, probably to offset lift. And don't forget that the weight of the swing set itself will have a decided effect.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #21
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Materials Update

This structure in the pictures below is going to be torn down soon. It is behind my brother's house and is completely useless. It's only making our property taxes higher.

It's made of 2x6s and 4x4 posts. The four tallest 4x4 posts measure 8' from ground level to the top. I'm guessing they are 2' in the ground - so maybe 10' tall?

It's free materials to build the porch swing support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0016.JPG (82.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0017.JPG (73.7 KB, 79 views)
Old May 6, 2016   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I know that has been around a long time and maybe a member of your family put them in.
Not to say anything bad about them but on a light hearted side if they are anything like the people on my street they are in maybe 6 inches.
I have never in my life seen so many leaning flopping mail boxes.
It takes a lot of work to put a 2 foot hole in the ground here.
You need a big heavy rock chipping bar and post hole diggers.

Worth
Old May 7, 2016   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

LOL Worth, I know exactly about the people you writing about.

This was built by father who believed in the opposite extreme. Every place where 2xs join and two 12 penny nails would last for decades - he would drive in five 16 penny nails instead - even though 16P nails were made for real 2"s. When we would pour a mailbox slab for a brick or stone mailbox - it had to be 24" deep with 5/8 rebar. The fill inside was laid in mortar. If a vehicle hits one of the brick or stone mailbox supports we built - the car would be totaled. That was just him, and yes, I tend to do the same. I taught our children to build it right too.

But with this said, I like getting other ideas and thoughts, and improving. Like with the pole bean supports, sometimes my ideas doing things doesn't work. I'll admit it and change it. I want it to be right.

What my father and grandfather taught me in their own respective ways - is to do it and look at it and not only be proud of it, but leave others saying, "%^&* that looks good. That is who I am.

That's the porch swing I want to build.
Old May 9, 2016   #24
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My brother's porch swing in our garden. Jan doesn't like it in the garden. The place where the new one will be built is outside the garden and has unlimited room to build it.

The swing in the picture was bought in either 1969 or 1970
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0036.JPG (81.3 KB, 57 views)
Old May 9, 2016   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
My brother's porch swing in our garden. Jan doesn't like it in the garden. The place where the new one will be built is outside the garden and has unlimited room to build it.

The swing in the picture was bought in either 1969 or 1970
Dude that is cool if those chairs/swing date back to that time they are worth quite a bit.

Worth
Old May 9, 2016   #26
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It was originally a glider. The glider support didn't last but for a few years. It was bought for my grandmother. It has been painted many times over the years, but can still be refurbished. It has been very well used by many people.
Old May 9, 2016   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Where I worked at they had the old original Herman Miller fiberglass clam chairs from years ago.
100's
They were getting rid of them.
I went to the person in charge and told them what the value was and to nit toss then.
These old chairs go for a very good sum of money in the retro business these days.

Worth
Old May 9, 2016   #28
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default My Swing Design

Here is what I did when I wanted a swing, treated 6x6 concrete footings and solid bracing. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004-12-31 002 2004-12-31 028.jpg (683.5 KB, 57 views)
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That is a nice looking swing.
Old June 28, 2016   #30
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It seems like May was a long time ago now. We tried my brother's porch swing in several places and it never got used. The thought of building one was all but dead. Then, a couple of days ago, we moved it under a tree that has morning glories growing around 15-20' behind it, raised beds to each side, a huge ivy bed in front, and behind the ivy bed is our main garden.

Yesterday was another typical dog days of summer type day here with 95+ heat and high humidity. We were sitting doing our normal evening routine when suddenly there was thunder and wind with sprinkling rain. My wife went out and sat on the porch swing enjoying the changing weather. I swear she looked like she was 20 again.

It was 'the' change I've been needing. It finally made me see the changes I've been making around the place as being worth while. I have sat aside money for fireworks for Independence Day. After yesterday evening, I thought, I could either entertain people for 20-30 minutes of fireworks or build a porch swing that'll last a lifetime. I'm going to build that porch swing. Someone else can buy fireworks.