Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 20, 2014   #16
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Default Ajika recipe

Ajika recipe

- 1 lbs of fresh hot peppers (best when slightly dried - i.e. left on the counter for 2 weeks after picking)
- 0.3-0.5 lbs fresh garlic
- a bunch of fresh parsley
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro (I used dried when I did not have fresh, and it also came out good - but fresh is better)
- 3 Tbsp of coarse salt (essential for long storage)
- 1 Tbsp of grind coriander seeds
(you can also all some other herbs you like - I tried thyme and oregano, and it works very well)

Put everything into a food processor and chop finely into a paste. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil until smooth.

Leave it on the counter for 1-2 days to ferment a little bit, or add 1 Tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice.

Put is into glass jars (don't seal) and store in the fridge. It stays fresh for up to 6 months in the fridge, possibly longer.

Optional ingredient: 100-150 gram walnuts or pecans

If you want to reduce the heat, add some sweet peppers, or remove seeds from hot peppers.

We love the ajika with almost everything - as a meat or fish rub, addition to a soup or bean dishes, omelettes, spaghetti sauce, you name it! Or, simply spread it on a bread. It is delicious, and it smells delicious, especially when you add habaneros to it.

My Mom also used to prepare a much milder variant of ajika by adding tomatoes, onions, and carrots, and reducing it on the stove for 1-2 hrs and then can it. Personally, I much prefer the authentic (fresh) paste. The only drawback to fresh one is you need a fridge to store it.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2014   #17
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar, do you have a dried Guajillo Chili (red sauce) recipe?
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2014   #18
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Do you know if you can actually taste horseradish in there???

The recipe sounds great, I'll try it in 2014.
I doubt it Tania! I might make it with some Santa Fe Grande with some non-hot Trinidad Perfume thrown it. The recipe did not say to remove seeds either so it might even be hotter than we all think! I will be saving you some seeds from 6 varieties peppers from Spain I picked up. These are all named varieties. I will pm you when my crop is done and send them. I am particularly interested in the "Paprkia Extremeo" which all the Chefs in Spain rave about. Grown in one particular area only. Anyway, I think you should be cooking this salsa and inviting all your friends over for a "hot" time! Only invite people you never want to see again!!!
Old January 20, 2014   #19
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Brokenbar, do you have a dried Guajillo Chili (red sauce) recipe?
I will have to look. I think I do but have not made it for a long time. When I find it, I will post in this thread. And once Guajllio is dried, it's very nearly black.
Old January 20, 2014   #20
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

This is the Rick Bayless (The Mexican Kitchen) recipe and is what I found in my files. I remember that it was excellent and I need to make and can some of this this year so thanks for reminding me! Quajillos are one of my favorite peppers, under appreciated and neglected in many recipes. They always give me a huge crop (even when I was in Wyoming) and are very, very versatile. Medium heat, dry well and are great stuffed!

Quajillo Red Sauce

6 Garlic Cloves, unpeeled
16 Large Dried guajillo chiles (4 oz)
1 teaspoon Dried Mexican oregano (not italian/greek)
1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, whole or freshly ground
3 2/3 cups Meat, poulry, fish broth (whichever is appropriate)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Vegetable or Olive oil
1 teaspoon Salt (depends on the saltiness of the broth)
1 1/2 teaspoons Sugar
1. The Garlic and Chiles:
On a heavy, ungreased skillet or griddle over medium heat, roast the unpeeled garlic, turning occasionally, until blackened in spots and soft, about 15 minutes. Cool, slip off the papery skins and roughly chop. While the garlic is roasting, break the stems off the chiles, tear the chiles open and remove the seeds. Next toast the chiles a few at a time on your medium-hot skillet or griddle: Open them flat lay them on the hot surface skin side up, press flay for a few seconds with a metal spatula (if the temperature is right you'll hera a faint crackle), then flip them. (If pressed long enough, they'll have changed toa mottled tan underneath. If you see a slight wisp of smoke, that's ok, but any more will mean burnt chiles). Now, press down again to toast the other side. Transfer to a bowl, cover with hot water and let rehydrate for 30 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure even soaking. Pour off all the water and discard
2. The Puree:
If using whole spices, pulverize the oregano, pepper, and cumin in a spice grinder or mortar, then transfer to a food processor or blender, along with the drained chiles, garlic, and 2/3 cup of the broth. Process to a smooth puree, scraping and stirring every few seconds. (if you're using a blender and the mixture won't move through the blades, add more broth, a little at a time, until everything is moving, but still as thick as possible.) With a rubber spatula work the puree through a medium-mesh strainer into a bowl; discard the skins and seeds that remain behind in the strainer. Taste and season with salt.
3. Cooking the Sauce:
Heat the oil ina medim-size (4 quart) pot (like a dutch oven or Mexican cazuela) over medium-high. When hot enough to make a drop of the puree sizzle sharply, add it all at once. Cook, stirring constantaly, as the puree sears, reduces and darkens (about 7 minutes). Taste it you'll know it's done when it has lost tht harsh raw chile edge. Stir in the remaining 3 cups of the broth, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally about 30 minutes. If the sauce has thickened past the consistency of a light cream soup, add more broth or water. Taste and season with salt and sugar.
Old January 20, 2014   #21
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Piri-Piri Hot Sauce

Peri Peri sauce (or piri-piri sauce) traces its origins back to Portugal, but this spicy condiment is widely enjoyed throughout countries such as Angola, Namibia, Mozambique and South Africa. Recipes vary from region to region (and family to family), but they all share one factor: lots of heat.
Ingredients:
  • 8 large red chilies (or the equivalent weight of African bird's eye chilies, if you can find them) Pepper varieties to suit your personal heat index
  • 2 scotch bonnet peppers
  • 4 cloves garlic, separated and wrapped in foil
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme
  • Vinegar
  • Juice of 2 lemons
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the chilies on a roasting tray, along with the foil-wrapped garlic cloves. Roast until the chilies are blackened and blistered, about 25 minutes. Wearing gloves, de-stem and finely chop the red chilies once they're cool enough to handle. De-stem both scotch bonnets also, and remove the seeds from one. Unwrap the garlic cloves from their foil and remove any skins. Place the peppers, garlic, paprika, salt and thyme leaves in a food processor or blender and mix until the ingredients form a thick puree. Add the lemon juice and just enough vinegar to the sauce until its consistency resembles a thick ketchup. Pour into a sterilized jar and keep in the fridge.

I have not canned this so do not have canning directions
Old January 20, 2014   #22
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Sriracha Sauce-Asian Hot Sauce

Sriracha-style hot sauce is ubiquitous in Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants, but it's bright, tangy flavors pair well almost any type of cuisine.
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound Fresno chilies, stemmed and coarsely chopped (or Big Jim or Sandia, etc.) IF you like it hot, use Thai peppers
  • 4 garlic cloves (or more, depending on preference)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
Directions:
Throw all the ingredients into a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then quickly reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until everything is cooked and softened. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes before transferring the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend for about five minutes. Store the sauce in a clean container in the refrigerator. This mixture should yield about a pint. After two weeks in the refrigerator, there might be some separation, but it will stir back together (and you’ll have consumed it by then, anyway).
I just got back From Vietnam and I LOVE this stuff! They served it everywhere but they use a really hot little dude of a pepper called “ Ot Hiem” which translates in Vietnam to Tear Jerker and in Cambodia, to Mean Pepper. They also use them diced up in traditional fish sauce. I am growing some of these this year. A very few go a long way!
Old January 20, 2014   #23
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Habanero Hot Sauce

A way to use the habaneros in a way that wouldn't kill the palette totally. "This sauce has something about it”…. So says my Husband …”It’s hot, but keeps you wanting more.” My Husband loves this on eggs. It is still too hot for me but not as hot as “Hellish Relish”. Again, you can change varieties of peppers to suit you own personal heat index.
Ingredients:
  • 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 medium onion, halved
  • 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 whole habanero peppers, stem removed
  • 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
  • 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, lightly chopped
  • 3/4 cup of cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • Ground black pepper
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 425 F. Lay the tomatoes, onions and garlic on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper, and cook until the onions are roasted, about 15 minutes. Remove the sheet of veggies, place them in a blender along with the remaining ingredients, and blend until you have a pureed sauce. Pour into a container, cover with a tightly sealed lid and use as needed.
Old January 20, 2014   #24
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Chili Rellenos recipe?
Old January 20, 2014   #25
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Chili Rellenos

Chili Rellenos

I stuff all the chilies ahead of time and freeze them on a cookie sheet. When they are frozen, place desired servings in bags

8 large poblano peppers
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 (14.5 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/ 4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
10 egg whites at room temperature
2 egg yolk, beaten
1/2 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
2 cups oil for frying, or as needed
Sour Cream for garnish
  1. Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack at about 6 inches from the heat source. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place the peppers onto the prepared baking sheet.
  2. Cook under the preheated broiler until the skin of the peppers has blackened and blistered, 8 to 10 minutes per side. When the peppers are about 80 percent blackened, place them a plastic bag, seal, and allow the peppers to steam as they cool, about 20 minutes. Once cool, remove the skins and discard. Cut a slit lengthwise into the side of each pepper, and remove seeds and veins. To reduce spiciness, rinse out any remaining seeds with water. Pat the peppers dry with paper towels.
  3. Mix together the shredded mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and Cheddar cheese in a bowl until thoroughly blended. Divide the cheese into 4 portions, and squeeze each portion lightly in your hands to make a cone shape. Insert a cone into the slit in each pepper, and pin the openings closed with toothpicks. Dredge each pepper in flour, dust off the excess, and place on a small baking sheet lined with parchment paper or waxed paper. Place the peppers in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
  4. To make sauce, blend the stewed tomatoes in a blender until pureed, and set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook and stir for about 30 seconds, and pour in the pureed tomatoes, chicken broth, vinegar, oregano, cumin, black pepper, hot pepper sauce, and cinnamon. Reduce to medium-low, and simmer the sauce until reduced by half and thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring often.
  5. Preheat an oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C), and warm a platter in the oven.
  6. To make batter and finish the chiles rellenos, mix 1/3 cup flour with salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until the whites form stiff peaks. Lightly mix the egg yolk and flour-salt mixture into the egg whites to make a fluffy batter. Remove peppers from freezer and coat them in flour again; shake off excess flour, and dip each pepper into the egg batter, using a spoon to gently but completely coat each pepper with batter.
  7. Heat frying oil in a heavy cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until the oil shimmers. Gently lay the coated peppers into the hot oil, and fry on both sides until the batter is golden brown and the cheese filling is hot, about 5 minutes per side. Remove peppers to warmed platter while you finish frying. To serve, ladle a generous spoonful of sauce onto plate, and place pepper on sauce. Serve peppers hot with a dollop of sour cream.
Old January 21, 2014   #26
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Thank you!!!!!
Old January 21, 2014   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do you make hot tamales?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2014   #28
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Brokenbar!!!
Old January 21, 2014   #29
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

This is from Bon Appitit - Hot Sauce

1 pound stemmed fresh chiles (such as jalapeño, serrano, Fresno, or habanero; use one variety or mix and match)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
Preparation
Pulse chiles and kosher salt in a food processor until a coarse purée forms. Transfer to a 1-qt. glass jar, loosely screw on lid, and let stand at room temperature for 12 hours to ferment slightly.
Stir in vinegar and loosely screw on lid. Let chile mixture stand at room temperature for at least 1 day and up to 7 days. (Taste it daily; the longer it sits, the deeper the flavor becomes.)
Purée mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Place a fine-mesh sieve inside a funnel. Strain mixture through sieve into a clean glass bottle. (Hot sauce will become thinner and may separate after you strain it; shake vigorously before each use.) DO AHEAD: Can be made up to 4 months ahead. Keep refrigerated.
Old January 21, 2014   #30
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Do you make hot tamales?

Worth
I used to Worth but here in Mexico, I just buy them from my neighbor's sister. She makes 5 different kinds and takes them to the restaurants in Merida once a week. They really are a lot of work so I used to make huge batches and freeze them. My family would rob a bank if it had tamales instead of money! I grew up where CA-AZ & Mexico meet so I grew up eating them and all the other Mexican food. I never had macaroni and cheese until I went to college! My Dad grew peppers and would eat them raw and sweat would poor out of him. I said somewhere on this forum that of of my best memories of "home" was hundreds of ristras hanging all the way around our wrap around porch! We had three generations of one Mexican family living on our ranch and they did lots of things with the dried chili's.

Tamales..I don't eat meat but they are a huge temptation!!!