Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 9, 2018   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Bower is cheating with all those water buckets!

LOL - just kidding. I do the same thing with horse troughs full of water, or at least am much as I can. I have never seen mass used under benches on a commercial scale. It might be difficult to do in a cost-effective manner. And it's the same with anything that costs more, it might work better on a smaller scale, but not translate well to a larger scale.
Too true about scale.
One thing I always noticed about the use of water containers as solar mass, it can take up one heck of a lot of space. I had these 5 gallon buckets anyway, and the plank was something I had laying around, so the usual "whatever you have handy" approach. But I think it makes a lot of sense for me to use buckets as the under-bench. Insofar as heat rises, any heat trapped or retained by the water is going to be released upward to the seedling bench.

BTW, I have learned it is a bit of a misnomer to think only about "solar" mass. The fact is, any kind of mass will act as a passive heat storage over time. Even mass which is not optimal (or optimally placed) for solar capture will absorb heat and come to temperature in a (solar or otherwise) heated space, which is then released slowly and moderates the temperature.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote