Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 22, 2014   #61
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Dorkfish, have you started your chinense peppers yet? If not, you should. I have
started mine and I'm in a much warmer zone that you..

Good luck with your peppers..Fox Farms, pro-mix are great products. It's getting
too expensive here so I'm going back to Miracle Grow Potting Mix for this year. I
will still use the Fox Farms Fertilizer though. I use peat pellets to start my seed,
and have no problems with it. Just have to check them everyday to make sure
they do not dry up.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #62
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
Good for you looking at other soils/fertilizers/etc.! It sounds like you're on the road to a great garden.

Since peppers and tomatoes and eggplant (as well as many, many more species) are in the nightshade family, they would all benefit from your worm compost.
I just want to be successful. great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Those worm casings are black gold. I think commercial worm farms make as much from the waste product as from the worms.

One of the things I have learned about compost in container plants, especially peppers, is that the weather seems to determine how much is too much. I can get away with more when it is warm and sunny, but if there happens to be a stretch of cold, wet, cloudy weather, then I have problems with damping off and stem rot.
Great! I just fed them again, trying to get another try full for processing.

err, our weather is always questionable. I did read that they prefer afternoon shade. Not sure, how true this is. I'm trying to determine the best place in my yard to set the pots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Dorkfish, have you started your chinense peppers yet? If not, you should. I have
started mine and I'm in a much warmer zone that you..

Good luck with your peppers..Fox Farms, pro-mix are great products. It's getting
too expensive here so I'm going back to Miracle Grow Potting Mix for this year. I
will still use the Fox Farms Fertilizer though. I use peat pellets to start my seed,
and have no problems with it. Just have to check them everyday to make sure
they do not dry up.
No, I am still waiting for them to come in the mail. Brokenbar was kind enough to send some to me. I'm ready for their arrival

I bought the MG organics choice potting mix to start the seeds. I already have some warming mats. I believe the Happy frog was 6.98 each. Not sure how that compares to the MG potting mix.

Very excited to get growing. I am VERY tempted to purchase a 6 x 8 greenhouse for seedling grow out. (peppers and tomato)
Old January 22, 2014   #63
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am VERY tempted to purchase a 6 x 8 greenhouse for seedling grow out. (peppers and tomato)
Okay..you are on the "Slippery Slope"...it all starts with a few seedlings on the kitchen shelf, moves to a small table with a couple of grow lights, progresses to a giant table taking up the entire garage ("Honey..I don't care if you have to park your car outside so just shut up") at this point the electric meter is running faster than the Road Runner, your neighbors see the lights and the cops show up to see you marijuana grow-out and YOU STILL DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR ALL THE VARIETIES YOU WANT TO GROW so you need a 10,000 greenhouse or rehab which cost about the same... Been there - done that as has each and every one of us on this forum...DUH...we belong to and read daily a TOMATO FORUM...Do you know anyone else who does? (aside from all of us maniacs here, and I certainly include myself.) You better hold on to your nickers because you are in for the ride of your life! OMG...I sent you seeds so I am now your "dealer"...

Last edited by brokenbar; January 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #64
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

HaHa, yes I am... you just decribed all of my steps except for the 10,000 greenhouse. Already decided... Okay honey, when we get our tax return back...here is $500.00. Go buy a gun because I am buying a bunch of tomato $hit! LOL

Haha, we use to have an inwall saltwater aquarium. 180 gallons. We were running 4- 250 watt MH lights. In the summer, our power bill was up to almost 500.00. The blue lights glowed out of the doors/windows. Surprising, never had a check.

LOL, shhhhh...lets keep this on the down low. Did you send me some good $hit?
Old January 22, 2014   #65
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Fish View Post
HaHa, yes I am... you just decribed all of my steps except for the 10,000 greenhouse. Already decided... Okay honey, when we get our tax return back...here is $500.00. Go buy a gun because I am buying a bunch of tomato $hit! LOL

Haha, we use to have an inwall saltwater aquarium. 180 gallons. We were running 4- 250 watt MH lights. In the summer, our power bill was up to almost 500.00. The blue lights glowed out of the doors/windows. Surprising, never had a check.

LOL, shhhhh...lets keep this on the down low. Did you send me some good $hit?
$hit from Serbia..I hear it's wicked smooth! I really did have cops show up once to see what I was growing in one of my greenhouses. I would have had to be a MORON as it was one you could see into easily from the county road...After they looked, one Sheriff wanted to know if I would sell him some plants! HYSTERICAL. and I said no...Your seeds should be there soon. Holiday and weather slowing the mail down I suppose.
Old January 22, 2014   #66
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

, awesome!!! nice!

Thank you again! I will let you know when I get them.
Old January 24, 2014   #67
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Well, I decided to start my Hot Lemon today. It took forever last year for these to germinate. So we will see this year.

When is the best time to start annuum seeds?
Old January 24, 2014   #68
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Fish View Post
Well, I decided to start my Hot Lemon today. It took forever last year for these to germinate. So we will see this year.

When is the best time to start annuum seeds?
'They' say to start annuums 8-10 weeks before the last frost. I'd venture a guess to start in the first couple of weeks in February.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2014   #69
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

grrr, I just went to check the Hot Lemon seeds and one has already broke through the mixure. Grrr These took forever last year! This year not so much

I think i started this five days ago...wow

Last edited by Dork Fish; January 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Dork Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2014   #70
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Okay, just got my Trinidad perfume started.
Old February 13, 2014   #71
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I just started some more seeds. I hope i am not too early...

Criolla D Cocina
Guajillo
Jalapeno M
Santa Fe Grande
Pepperoncini
Trinidad Perfume (few more)
Old February 13, 2014   #72
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I hope i am not too early... Not at all! You're right on schedule. Great news about your Hot Lemons sprouting. I figured they would all be up by now and almost ready to move to bigger cups! Actually, it may take a bit longer. Mine are just starting to get some true leaves so I'll wait another week or so to transplant.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #73
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I am going to be growing in pots this year and trying to determine what size to use.

5 gallon: 10.25 H x 11.9 diameter
7 gallon: 11.75 H x 13 diameter
10 gallon: 12 H x 16 Diameter

Last edited by Dork Fish; February 21, 2014 at 06:31 PM.
Dork Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #74
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I just finished repotting the rest of my seedlings...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old March 9, 2014   #75
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Did your Santa Fe Grande's germinate? I checked my notes and mine were all up in 12 days...