Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old November 23, 2010   #31
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Ah that's true isn't it - I see 274 and etc. I'm not yet enough of a beanophile to know all the details I'm afraid - I just know I've grown the tall ones and the short ones
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2010   #32
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Just a followup on Dragon Tongue, yes it can be allowed to fill out and produce flat beans, but I personally pick it early and use it as a fresh snap bean. I pick it about the size of a Kentucky Wonder or Blue Lake.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2010   #33
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ruth, would you mind sharing which ones of the bush green beans you like best for freezing, ie. production, flavor, keeping color, etc.?
Thanks,
kath
I like Tendergreen or Tendergreen Improved for bush green beans for freezing. Most of my freezer beans of the past few years have been pole beans.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2010   #34
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My favorite after 30 years of growing beans is now Maxibel. For the past few years it has been my main crop bean. They are a very productive French type bush bean.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2010   #35
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth_10 View Post
I like Tendergreen or Tendergreen Improved for bush green beans for freezing. Most of my freezer beans of the past few years have been pole beans.
Thanks, Ruth, I think someone else said the same thing about Tendergreen recently. Think I'll give it a try next year.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2010   #36
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

My favorite, too, is Maxibel for several reasons. I find it much easier to pick them as they seem to be more easily seen and hang close together. They are also long and slender and stay that way even if you don't pick them right away. And they are also very abundant. I plant these for the green beans and Goldito for the wax.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote