Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 1, 2019   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default fluffy white mold

I started my pepper seeds Sunday in plastic seed trays.These were place in a small sealed Tupperware container.I could not find my heat mat so I put the container on top of my Uverse modem. Thursday I had a few germinate and pop through the soil.I notice white mold that was very fluffy,it was due to the moisture.I have placed them uncovered under my shop lights in the basement with the lights a few inches about them.Not going to water until they need it but what about the mold?First time this has happened.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Is the mold on the soil, the roots or the cotelydens? If it looks like the roots I think you are safe. That is most likely roothairs and they look like mold. If it's the leaves or the soil you may be out of luck. Don't seal the containers . Start against n if you are worried.
Old March 2, 2019   #3
clspie
Tomatovillian™

If I suspect mold, or damp off, I spray the top of the soil with a mixture of 1 1/2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide(3% solution) to 1 cup of water.
clspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clspie View Post
If I suspect mold, or damp off, I spray the top of the soil with a mixture of 1 1/2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide(3% solution) to 1 cup of water.
+1
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #5
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Just a suggestion, but next time you might want to try sowing the seeds in something like Ultrasorb. Here is a link to some postings here about seed starting. If you search under ultrasorb many will come up: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ight=ultrasorb
Ever since I first tried it I have never looked back. No more damping off, or mold etc since it is a very sterile medium. Cheap too and you probably already have some under a different name in your garage. Look at post #11 where his peppers grew bigger in side by side comparisons.
But like others have said, I wouldn't seal anything completely like in Tupperware either. Moist conditions invite mold and if at all possible I would start anew just as a backup like clkeiper suggests.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #6
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

When I looked this morning I did not see anything that looked like mold.Things had dried up some from the warmth of my 4 shop lights that's a couple inches above the seedlings.I'll keep an close watch and should it happen again I''ll start new seeds.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote