Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2019   #3526
PlainJane

Marsha: the Tomato Temptress!
Old June 13, 2019   #3527
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Marsha: the Tomato Temptress!
Who, me?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019   #3528
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Who, me?
Lol, you, Karen and Barb are all bad.
Old June 14, 2019   #3529
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Lol, you, Karen and Barb are all bad.
And gardenboy, don't forget Douglas!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2019   #3530
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
And gardenboy, don't forget Douglas!
Ah, yes, another enabler.
Old June 16, 2019   #3531
PlainJane

I will have Clear Lake Heirloom back again next year.
Less cracking by far than many blacks I’ve tried, and taste is pretty darn good.

I don’t know if these will hold on till next Sunday; if not I’ll just have to eat them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9A66CD99-AC5B-4883-AF39-5E4862E3D22C.jpg (619.5 KB, 110 views)
Old June 18, 2019   #3532
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Joyce - that is a really pretty black tomato. I also give it kudos for being so pretty this late in the season. I never heard of it so be sure to let us know how it tastes.

---
I've been dehydrating like crazy and put some bigger - non-cherry tomatoes in the blender for just a few seconds and dehydrated them like the mango leathers (rollups in my book) other than I let them get really dried out. Then I crush them; super intense flavor.

Here are my normal dehydrated cherries and the flakes.

The first time I dehydrated just the cherries, 9 trays, very full, tons of tomatoes, I weighed it afterwards and it was just over 10 oz. I'm sure there was a lot more than 10 lbs of cherries going in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0994.jpg (440.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0995.jpg (313.5 KB, 103 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2019   #3533
PlainJane

Wow, Barb that looks just fantastic.

I made quick tomato sauce last night from the fruits that weren’t going to last till Sunday. Since I didn’t remove skins or seeds I’ll use it on couscous or pasta for just us.

Clear Lake Heirloom has a very nice flavor; I’d give it a 7/10 just after BFT or Black Krim. I, too was shocked at how perfect the fruit is for Florida. Please please please hold on until Sunday!
Old June 18, 2019   #3534
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention that it was Marsha, (the temptress) and also Ella who sometimes drops by here who ENABLED me to get the dehydrator. It was a great decision and purchase too.

I bought it around this time last summer.
Old June 18, 2019   #3535
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I forgot to mention that it was Marsha, (the temptress) and also Ella who sometimes drops by here who ENABLED me to get the dehydrator. It was a great decision and purchase too.

I bought it around this time last summer.
Hahahaha, perfect come back.
Old June 24, 2019   #3536
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

If anyone needs to get in touch with Marsha (Ginger), PM me for her email address.

---
I still have tomatoes and peppers going. I'm about to pick some of the Kent Mangos which was a limited crop due to hail, but can't stand seeing the few I have get knocked off from the squirrels.
Old June 24, 2019   #3537
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

It's me The Enabler! U must try Black From Tula if U haven't all ready. Great black variety tomato. Medium production and all around great plant. It's my favorite black tomato for taste. They get really dark when ripe. I have plenty of seeds if you want to try some....BFT...Black From Tula! Everyone have their "grow list" ready for 2019 season??
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019   #3538
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
It's me The Enabler! U must try Black From Tula if U haven't all ready. Great black variety tomato. Medium production and all around great plant. It's my favorite black tomato for taste. They get really dark when ripe. I have plenty of seeds if you want to try some....BFT...Black From Tula! Everyone have their "grow list" ready for 2019 season??
I may have got some Black from Tula seeds from your seed SASE this year. I plan to grow them out starting August/September. I know I got SotW and if I missed BfT, I know where to find the seeds.

What is on your grow list for fall 2019? When do you start? I usually start late August b/c we have been going away for the month of September, but this year we are homebound so will start Sept 1.
Old June 24, 2019   #3539
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Yes I have a "grow list" but have been changing it on a regular basis. I usually start my seeds around August 10th. Usually get my first ripe tomato by Thanksgiving depending on hurricanes, weather issues or pest /disease problems. Mostly doing red, pink and black varieties this season. Sticking with my tried and true varieties. #1 Black - Black From Tula #2 - Pink - Caspian Pink #3 - Red - Thessaloniki ....will finalize my list by next month.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019   #3540
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I usually get my first ripe tomato by December 1, but this '18-'19 it was 12/4 because October (when we got back) was so hot.

I'm surprised you can get ripe ones that early since it should be even hotter where you live but I think I remember you posted a picture of one really early.

Is your garden done for the season?

I look at the average nightly temperatures and work backwards 6 weeks. It use to be on average weather improved a ton on Oct 15th. Not so much last year.