Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old March 15, 2011   #1
uno
Tomatovillian™

Default Supporting Sugar Snap Peas

I love Sugar Snaps but I have had a lot of trouble supporting the vines that they grow on.

I grow them up a fence that is about 6 feet tall. The fence has mesh that is about 2 inches by 3 inches and it's 6 feet tall.

The problem is that after the peas get about 4 or 5 feet tall they fall over backwards and some break.

I tries tying them to the fence and all it takes is one strong wind and I'm back to having peas vines that are doubled over!

I just wanted to see how others supported their Sugar Snap vines...because obviously my method needs a LOT of improvement!

Thanks

Jim
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #2
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I use that netting made for peas. And then, to avoid the falling over problem, I tie twine from post to post every couple feet up from the ground.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #3
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

I just grow the dwarf nearly leafless ones like Lacy Lady 2. Less work.I double row them and they support each other.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #4
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

I've had good luck with an expandable pea fence made by a certain garden supply company. It is steel, around 6' tall and has 8" square grids. Last year I had a heck of a time trying to untangle the pea vines from it! They really clung to it, for whatever reason. As soon as I trained them onto it they never let go, UNTIL the weather got hot. After which they didn't cooperate at all and needed to be replaced with a warm weather crop.
lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #5
uno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks tam91, Kevin and lemurian.

Tam91

Do the peas still fall over even with the pea netting?

I'm wondering if maybe the fence I use that the peas can't get a good grip on it.

Lemurian

Are you saying that once the weather got hot the peas started falling off the fence?

That sounds like what happens to mine.

Jim
Old March 16, 2011   #6
lemurian
Tomatovillian™

Yup! The peas just don't climb or set pods once the weather gets hot. They are essentially a cool weather crop. I pull them out once it gets hot and they stop making peas and plant summer squash in their place. You can start peas again in late Summer/early Autumn for a fall crop, too But yeah, they just don't work out in the heat of Summer.
lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #7
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Mine got pretty heavy - they were attached to the netting, but they might have pulled loose from the weight. That's why I put a few strings up.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I gave up long ago growing the very tall sugar snap peas and switched, eventually to Cascadia, which I think is the best. I make two shallow trenches about 6 inches apart and sow the seeds in each trench about 3 inches apart and the plants support each other b'c they only get to be about 3 ft tall, Cascadia is very productive, wonderfuly tasty and I think some of you should try it rather than being concerned about how to support the long vining ones.

A few times I took some short dead branches and spaced them down through those double rows, but it really wasn't necessary.
Old March 17, 2011   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I use two sets of netting in parallel. The vines go between them. If a vine starts poking out, it gets tucked back in.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #10
uno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again Everyone.

Carolyn

Do you know of a good seed source for the Cascadia Peas?

I might try some out this year.

Jim
Old March 20, 2011   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn I also have used the prunings from my peach tree as support for shorter varieties of peas and like you just got tired of trying to support the really tall ones. Even with a six foot fence I end up having to constantly tie them up to stop them from falling over. I have never tried Cascadia so I might give it a try next year.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #12
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i took a length of crw and made a 4 sided cage about 7' long and 1.5' wide. i grow super sugar snap on it. they grow over the 5' tall cage but so what, they just fall down on the other side or the side they are on. picking short vined peas is akin to picking bush beans vs pole beans. maybe your back likes it but i stopped that a long time ago. i tried sugar ann and they are nowhere near as sweet or productive as super sugar snap and the vines are ~ 2' tall, i got the seeds for a friend and took 20 seeds, gave them away after the 1st year.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno View Post
Thanks again Everyone.

Carolyn

Do you know of a good seed source for the Cascadia Peas?

I might try some out this year.

Jim

I know I answered you but maybe it was when we had the problems with the server last week and it didn't post.

I went to Google to see what sources were good and I saw that Territorial and Jung's Seeds were offering Cascadia, at least that's what I remember from last week.
Old March 21, 2011   #14
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I plant mine on both sides of the same netting that I later use for my cucumbers. Held up by seven foot t posts. Till that area in the fall so I don't have to dig too much in the spring when my property is still so wet. I only need the top inch or two to be dry enough to drag a hole through to make a small furrow on each side of the netting. Mine are also planted on the west side of a group of pine trees so they get lots of sun and aren't blasted by too much wind, which we have a lot of around here also. Have never had to tie them to the netting, the tendrils hold on for dear life and have to be yanked off before I can plant the cukes. I also like to grow super sugar snap. Other shorter ones have not done as well for me as far as flavor, tenderness, or production, but that's just me.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #15
uno
Tomatovillian™

tjg911

I might try that and make a cage rather than a trellis. Thanks!

Thanks Carolyn

I will look into those.

Is Cascadia similar to Sugar Ann?

I think I grew those before.

Thanks Lurley

What is the netting made out of?

I'm wondering if my peas have trouble holding on to a metal fence and if that might be part of my problem.