Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2020   #1
walt456
Tomatovillian™

Default 6 inches of rain and still pouring

Our crops are in serious trouble. Our gardens are in bottom land and the creeks are rising. As of about an hour ago we've gotten 6 inches of rain and are projected to get 6-8 more before it stops. The fields already have 3 inches of standing water. If the creeks break out of thier banks we have little hope of salvaging any of the 400 tomato plants. Not to mention the many rows of other vegetables.
walt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2020   #2
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Heart breaking
Old May 20, 2020   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

well, I don't know what to say.......... but I sure hope you can save some of them and get a crop of something.
Old May 21, 2020   #4
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Walt, how’d you make out?
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2020   #5
walt456
Tomatovillian™

Well it's still raining but the creeks haven't reached the part of the feilds that we've planted. So far we've gotten about 12 inches of rain and will probably get another inch or two before it ends. There's about 8 inches of standing water in the field but at least it's not moving water. Hopefully the standing water won't stress them too much.
Old May 22, 2020   #6
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Walt, are you in the western part of Virginia?
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020   #7
walt456
Tomatovillian™

Yes, right up against the Blue Ridge Mtns. The storm traveled up from the North Carolina Coast hit the mountains and stalled. Looks like you're in the same area. How did your garden fare?
Old May 22, 2020   #8
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I am in southwest Virginia (Floyd) and we had 6" of rain over the last three days, along with temperatures in the 40s. Being on a ridge with good drainage I have no standing water or flood threat, but I am concerned about the onions getting a fungal disease. That happened two years ago after 5" of rain, but the onions then were much younger then. Glad I held back on planting out my peppers and eggplant!
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020   #9
walt456
Tomatovillian™

You're not far from us Tom. The trade off we make for rich bottom land soil is fighting frost and flood. Our onions were growing wonderfully I hope fungus doesn't show up. I'd just planted two heirloom varieties of onions from SSE and would hate to lose them. Glad to hear your farm made it through the rains and hope the fungus stays away.
Old May 22, 2020   #10
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

We are in Southern Virginia close to the Carolina line....about 60 miles east of Danville. Had 3.5 inches so far.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020   #11
walt456
Tomatovillian™

Praise God the sun is shining today. The creeks are receding ND the standing water is absorbing slowly.
Old May 22, 2020   #12
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

I got 5.5 inches since Monday, and it's raining again. They are predicting rain for the next several days. :-( We had such a rainy winter and spring, too. Can't imagine 12 inches!!
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2020   #13
walt456
Tomatovillian™

Afternoon storms popped up today and it's raining again. We're happy we came out as good as we did. Hopefully we can continue to dry out over the next few days and fungus stays away.
Old May 22, 2020   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Well, I thought we were done yesterday with about 6” but then this afternoon we had a crazy storm with strong wind and 2-3inches rai. We’ve been without
power since around 6 and still no estimated time which is unusual.
I’m worried about diseases on strawberries,tomatoes,peppers and fruit trees. Notices a few sick and dying strawberries. Any recommendations? Maybe orchard spray,neem oil or serenade? Or potassium bicarbonate? Milk? Baking soda?
Isn’t have plain copper or daconil or copper but the orchard spray has copper.
Should be pretty dry coming up.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2020   #15
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

I feel ya.. NW Indiana here and rain frost and rain has messed up my gardening this year... Also finding plants at my local green houses is sparse to say the least. I hope and pray you get your garden in. best wishes ~ crunch
crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote