Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 4, 2019   #16
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Bee, I have some extra Malabar seeds if would like to try them. It does take up some space and they do love heat, so your conditions would be more ideal. Not a fan myself personally, but a highly ornamental vine like a castor bean in a floral garden. PM your address if interested in trying.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2019   #17
MdTNGrdner

It does look pretty but I'm not convinced on the taste! Lol. But I bet hubby might like it Thank you, I'll send a PM.
Old February 4, 2019   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
I just looked Thunbergia up when I read it earlier, and the white was my favorite too. Very pretty!

Honeysuckle can grow in pots and trellises nicely, and the hummingbirds love it; but it does need a bit of room - so does Morning Glory!

Pole beans go everywhere in our garden! We use them as screens, separators, punctuation... I love everything about them and would be hard pressed to choose between them and tomatoes Usually it's three tomatoes or peppers, then pole beans, repeat, and with understory herbs, basil, flowers - but then we are blessed with lots of room as you say.

I have never grown Malabar spinach (or any spinach), but I'll check that out. Thanks for the idea.

If it crosses your mind this summer, post a picture of that trellis and Thunbergia!
Your garden must be lovely with such a mix of tomatoes, peppers, pole beans, herbs and flowers. That's a great idea! I tend to keep everything in separate rows except for cilantro and peas which I allow to grow in a big block.

Malabar spinach is very attractive, and if you like the taste, it is great for salads.

I will try to remember to get a picture of the Thunbergia on the trellis .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2019   #19
MdTNGrdner

Thanks, it is lovely but so are beautiful straight rows! I think gardeners evolve with what works, and with our bermuda grass and hot summers, the underplantings and side plantings get some shade and help keep weeds down. Neat rows and sharp corners are very appealing too, though.