Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old April 10, 2014   #31
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Grew it last year and found it disappointing just like the person I got the seed from... Thorny and weird. Found the fruit dry, seedy and inedible reminded me of a Rose hip more than anything else. Interesting novelty but I won't grow it again. Fiercely sharply thorny.
KarenO
Same as my experience. I even gave a couple plants to a friend who dropped me. It is a terrible plant all around. No virtues at all.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #32
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I think if I want an ornamental spiny plant, I'll stick with cardoons. I know they can also be invasive but at least they're good to eat from what I've heard.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2014   #33
pershing
Tomatovillian™

Anyone harvesting Litchis yet? Mine has plenty of fruit but are taking forever. Do they fall? How to pick them? Thanks...
pershing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2014   #34
Iva
Tomatovillian™

The fruits do not fall, but the husks open and 'curl' back somewhat for easier picking.
I do recommend using gloves while picking single fruits as the thorns are quite nasty.
Or you can use scissors and cut off entire fruit branches when most of the fruits on them are ripe. It is easier to pick out single fruits off when away from the very prickly plant...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2014   #35
pershing
Tomatovillian™

Just tried our first Litchi's and after the extra work around the thorns its just not worth it. So many more varieties worth the time and effort.

P
Old July 2, 2014   #36
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Weird how much the opinions vary on this one. Maybe its different cultivars?
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #37
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentiger87 View Post
Weird how much the opinions vary on this one. Maybe its different cultivars?
I don't know of any Litchi cultivars. Certainly the Litchi I am growing for the first time this year is a wicked very thorny evil beast. Pretty though. Quite decorative. Love the large foliage and beautiful flowers.

No ripe fruit yet............ So I am withholding my opinion for now.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #38
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have a love/hate feeling about this plant. Every year I promise myself I am not going to grow it again because I really do not like the taste at all. But the blooms are pretty and it attracts pollinators. And since I have been saving seeds I guess I am not done with it yet.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #39
pershing
Tomatovillian™

It does flower a lot and had about 30 fruit in process. But between getting tangled in its thorns and sub-standard taste I will try something else...
Old July 3, 2014   #40
Iva
Tomatovillian™

With Litchi Tomato, taste varies from season to season for sure.
Sometimes it tastes EXACTLY like cherries and sometimes it is simply blah.

I noticed it tastes better when it gets enough water throughout the growing season as that makes the fruits juicier. With more juice comes more taste. In dry years it is just a bunch of seeds inside a red skin and no taste whatsoever...
So irrigation might help with taste...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2014   #41
pershing
Tomatovillian™

I had drip irrigation. None of the other plants complained. Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and melons all did/doing fine. Unless they need even more than the rest; I dont see a reason.

P
Old July 12, 2014   #42
Wil SC
Tomatovillian™

Mine are in full bloom (thanks Zeedman for the seeds). I had one plant grow much faster then the rest and put on flowers 4-5 weeks earlier. The majority of the flowers fell off since there wasn't a pollination buddy, but strangley it did set 3 fruit. I'll be saving seeds from them with the hope of getting self pollinating offspring. Now that I have 10+ plants blooming they seem to be polinating easily.

I had some leftover soil from my raspberry pots so I have some growing in normal soil and some in acidic soil. They seem to be growing at the same rate, I was curious if it would affect growth and flavor.

Bumblebees love these things, I'd probally grow a couple just for the flowers even if the fruit wasn't edible.

Wil SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #43
loudog
Tomatovillian™

I grew it this past year 2014 for the first time and the taste was very good, yes the spines can be difficult, I used my tongs for the grill and a scissors to remove the fruit . Made a pie today and used a cup of blue berries with 3 cups litchi, very tasty! Louie
loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #44
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Louie, that sounds really good. I've got 5 litchi plants wanting to go in ground. I wish I knew if another freeze is coming or not.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015   #45
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Louie, that sounds really good. I've got 5 litchi plants wanting to go in ground. I wish I knew if another freeze is coming or not.
All I can say is last year mine were a huge disappointment. I don't know if it is a climate thing between Ohio and the SW here. But North Texas and Central Oklahoma are probably closer in climate and soil than either of us to Ohio. So I wouldn't automatically get your hopes up. I'll keep trying and you should too. But at least last year, mine were pretty and thorny, but had not a single usable fruit.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote