Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 31, 2019   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Choosing Tomato Varieties

On the day before seed planting day... I've been thinking about it for a long while, but I'm still unsure of what tomatoes to plant. I keep telling myself that I need to grow tomatoes that my family likes, but as a tomato enthusiast, I want to grow so many more.

My family likes cherry tomatoes very much, and they grow well here. I am stubborn, but I finally get it. RKN and FW3 in the soil, learning container gardening, and you have to look back at what produced best through drought and record rainfall years recently. And then there is the factor of the wonderful seeds people from around the world have traded/sent to me.

Porter
Medovaya Kaplya
Japanese Pink Cherry
Maybe Sungold
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #2
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Grow some your family likes, some you like, and even try 1 or more if you have room that you haven't before, Salt. Who knows, your family and you might discover some new favorites! I know since coming here to T'ville I've been introduced to so many new varieties i'll never be able to try everything but it sure is nice to fantasize during the cold winter days when the garden beds rest and the containers are put away.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #3
MI Farmer
Tomatovillian™

Yeah - what she said. And who knows? The next best tomato you and your family love may be lurking in one of those seed packets.
MI Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

well, at least you know better than to ask people here for advice on what to grow.
you would get snowed with answers. see, you are a smart person.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #5
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef is usually a crowd favorite. I also grow in containers, and they produce well and are disease resistant. Don't be afraid to prune some of the thick foliage, worked well for me last year, and the plants made it all the way through the summer, and in fact are still alive today.
Old January 31, 2019   #6
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
Big Beef is usually a crowd favorite. I also grow in containers, and they produce well and are disease resistant. Don't be afraid to prune some of the thick foliage, worked well for me last year, and the plants made it all the way through the summer, and in fact are still alive today.
I'm with Ed! Big Beef! Yeah, yeah, yeah...it's a hybrid. But it's a pretty good tasting hybrid...produces pretty early...produces ALOT....produces big tomatoes...is pretty resistant to most everything...heck, you have to work at killing the thing! Big Beef. That's all I got to say.

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #7
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

I always have a few I grow every year, a few maybe I grew in years past that I want to retry and then a bunch I have been meaning to grow or never even heard of that I want to try just for the fun of it.
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #8
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

I'm blessed with space, so I get to experiment a bit. I'll settle for a tomato that grows well for me, even though it doesn't taste like Carbon, Stump, or Sungold.

I always grow what I like and what my family likes and what grows well. Then I experiment with other varieties for a couple years to see if anyone likes them better.

I should keep better records on paper instead of in my head.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #9
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I think I've done all the heirloom, open pollinated growing I'm interested in growing. This year will be dedicated to the best hybrids I can grow for disease resistance, heat resistance, taste, and productivity. Until this past season, I also thought Big Beef was the best hybrid available until this past year when it was still great, but not as good as Heat Master. That's all I'm growing with the exception of KBX for a contrast. Six KBX, twenty Big Beef and twenty Heat Master should cover my needs.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2019   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
well, at least you know better than to ask people here for advice on what to grow.
you would get snowed with answers. see, you are a smart person.

keith
lol Keith, I know what you mean. Smart on the other hand
There will be game day decisions on seeds to sow Friday February 1, and there are those varieties sold as transplants that somehow make it into our cart.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2019   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Y'all like smaller tomatoes why not Lime Green Salad..
Smallish plant puts out like gang busters and then croaks.
Great container plant.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2019   #12
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Y'all like smaller tomatoes why not Lime Green Salad..
Smallish plant puts out like gang busters and then croaks.
Great container plant.
Yes, LGS is a really good suggestion.
Taste-wise ... it has a ton of flavor but is not ‘sweet’. Folks at my annual tomato tasting really liked it. I grow it nearly every year.
Old February 1, 2019   #13
cloz
Tomatovillian™

I grow 2 Lime Green Salads in one 10 gallon container and 2 Utyonooks in another 10 gallon container. Both are heavy producers for small plants.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2019   #14
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

When the RKN thing reared it's ugly head in the garden and I had to move tomatoes to containers, it really cut down on how many tomatoes I could grow. So I kept the varieties that have done best for me in this part of Georgia and every year I try one or two new ones. That's a slow "research" pace but oh well.

It's the "What new somethings should I try this year?" that's the hard part. The Celebrity, Better Boy, Early Girl Bush and Juliet remain from the Old Guard. Last year I tried Homestead and Creole and am doing Homestead again this year while Creole makes way for others. It was a nice tomato but is temporarily going away to make room for new.

The new this year will be Stump of the World, Rio Grande paste and Bella Rosa for spring. Maybe two other kinds for fall. Guess I need a few more buckets!

Good luck choosing your new 'maters!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2019   #15
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I thought I had finalized a grow list for this year but have a few new ones coming via the good people here at T-ville. So I'm still deciding. I thought I would cut back this time but you know how that goes.