Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 4, 2018   #136
taboule
Tomatovillian™

And lastly, pic 1 of a dish DW made last night. Except I didnt get a chance to capture the final product picture before she parceled it out into serving dishes.
Veta's-creation.jpg

To the left are white eggplant we got seeds from Greece; purple sweet peppers, and round tomatoes. All cored, then stuffed with a meat+rice+seasoning mix, drizzled with tomato juice, then capped with their matching "hat", then baked until rice is cooked and all is bubbly. I'll post a pic of the next similar dish we make, until then please use your imagination
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #137
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yum!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2018   #138
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Default Wrapping it up

Greetings All.

It’s been ~2 months since I posted. Late September my wife and I went overseas on vacation, and when I came back the garden was finished – the tomatoes from diseases, then we had a couple of hard frosts that killed everything but the hardier greens. Been busy cleaning up since, tidying up the beds and basically winterizing the garden(s) –both old and new. I didn’t want to leave any of the sick plant material around. Then I put away cages and stakes. Lastly I had to blow the water out of the underground irrigation pipes to avoid freezing. Only one bed left that has some nice Swiss chard and chickoree. Here’s how they looked a few nights ago after a very cold night (25 degF) but they’re perfectly fine now –they wilted a bit, but didn’t freeze.

greens-oct18.jpg

Plan is to cut a bunch later and make a couple of dishes out of them.

I had big plans to grow some garlic this year, but things got away from me. Then I found a few heads that I had purchased from a local farm, for eating –all natural, not sprayed with anything. So I prepped a small section of the narrowest bed and planted them. I doubt they’ll have time to grow roots before it gets real cold, but I had to try it -at ~zero cost.

Then yesterday I went to the old garden to harvest the small batch of potatoes that I had planted in the spring. Didn’t know what to expect, as they lost their tops a while back, and we’ve had tons of rain. I had planted those in 6 shallow rings made of cut out 2x trash barrels (3 rings/barrels.) See picture earlier in the thread. I was pleased to find enough for a few meals -filled a 5 gal bucket. But they were dirty muddy, so washed them off and left them out to dry. These will go nicely with the smoked meats.

taters-11nov18.jpg

Already thinking and planning next year’s. I hope you’re all doing good.

Last edited by taboule; November 11, 2018 at 09:09 PM.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2018   #139
bower
Tomatovillian™

I bet those spuds will be tasty!
Swiss chard is one thing I'm always glad of when frost takes out the others. I'm hoping to find my parsely still standing after last night's frost. I have been all in working and neglected everything.. can't wait to check out the garden tomorrow, even if it is... mostly done.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote