Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 22, 2016   #136
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Loulac: Thanks. The plants are in 6 packs... Each 6 pack contains one each of my earliest tomato varieties... Mature fruit size is about 3 to 10 ounces. They are all reds. Five are determinate, and the other is an indeterminate that doesn't grow very big.

The potting mix is coconut coir, with a bit of perlite, compost, and native soil.

Last edited by joseph; April 22, 2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #137
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

That is a great idea, to sell a six pack with six different varieties. I would prefer buying 6 different varieties rather than 6 of one variety. It would give me a chance to try different varieties. How much do you get for your six packs? Thanks!
Old April 23, 2016   #138
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
That is a great idea, to sell a six pack with six different varieties. I would prefer buying 6 different varieties rather than 6 of one variety. It would give me a chance to try different varieties. How much do you get for your six packs? Thanks!
Clkingtx: I was startled last year that most people that bought six-packs preferred 6 different varieties. So this year I am making three different mixed varieties: Red only, Yellow/Orange only, and a mixed sampler.

I feel unsettled on pricing for the six packs. I think that I'll ask $2.50 each, or 3 for $6.
Old May 5, 2016   #139
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Here's what the market tomatoes looked like last night. The farmer's market opens in a few days. I'm really pleased with them.

These fruits were pollinated by Solanum habrochaites, LA1777.

Last edited by joseph; May 5, 2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old May 5, 2016   #140
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Joseph, Great looking display. With that kind of assortment, would have been much easier to purchase from you than grow from seed!!!

Last edited by twillis2252; May 5, 2016 at 03:18 PM.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #141
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Joseph, Great looking display. With that kind of assortment, would have been much easier to purchase from you than grow from seed!!!
Old May 5, 2016   #142
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Old May 5, 2016   #143
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Old May 5, 2016   #144
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Old May 5, 2016   #145
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Twillis... Did you get that excited seeing all those tomato plants are did your keyboard have the hic cups.

Those look great Joseph! I hope you sell them all. Are you taking just tomatoes or do you have anything else to go with them? Please report back on how the combo packs go this year and which ones folks seemed to be more interested in if you don't mind.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #146
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

The server was running slow and went down while attempting to post. Posted multiple times...How do you delete a post???
Old May 5, 2016   #147
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Those tomato plants look great & just in time for market. And the mixed 6 pack is a good idea. Enjoyed seeing the tobacco plant way back in the thread. At one time my family raised almost 30 acres of burley tobacco. A little over 60,00 pounds went to market that particular year. Seems like fun times/memories looking back now but it was actually very labor intensive hard work. We had work to do virtually every day of the week year round.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #148
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I would freak out to find mixed 6-packs for such good prices! I'll bet they all sell fast!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #149
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I'm taking other plants also: sweet basil, Thai basil, cucumbers, storage onions, Egyptian onions, spearmint, tomatillos, edible dahlias. Probably some medicinal herbs. Later on I'll have cape gooseberry, butternut squash, buttercup squash, muskmelon, watermelon, okra. And tobacco, if I can keep it alive for a few more weeks.

I dug sunroot tubers today. They will be my only harvest of sunroots this spring.

I'm also taking locally-adapted seeds. $1 per packet on those, with buy 5 get 2 free.
Old May 6, 2016   #150
loulac
Tomatovillian™

When I see the importance of your display and remember you are not alone to sell seedlings I find it difficult to imagine the importance of the population likely to visit the market. Excuse my ignorance, Cache Valley N.E. of the Great Salt Lake leaves me in the dark...
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote