Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 3, 2015   #1
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Morbid or not?

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/0...6pLid%3D621184

Way out there,maybe a Oak,Elm,etc.but nothing consumable for me.
Old March 3, 2015   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I don't think it's morbid at all. I think it's fantastic that we're coming up with all these alternatives to a traditional burial.

Personally, I want to be sent to the Body Farm; but if that is too distressing for any of my family, something like this would make me happy, too.

http://fac.utk.edu/

...but I really want to go to the Body Farm. I would be dead, but I'd still be doing science. How cool is that?
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #3
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

We have a large liquid manure (cow) pond on the farm. I would like to have my ashes thrown into it and spread on the fields.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I have told my family since I was a teen, pine coffin and traditional funeral, but afterwards plant an oak tree over me. Circle of life and all.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The process of embalming is the real problem. They pump bodies so full of chemicals that they then have to put them in steel caskets enclosed in concrete boxes to contain the embalming chemicals.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #6
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I have told my family since I was a teen, pine coffin and traditional funeral, but afterwards plant an oak tree over me. Circle of life and all.
Same here, but I'd like to fertilize a Joshua tree.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

We laugh about the embalming here. I am highly allergic to formaldehyde and tease my family that I will dis appear if they send me to be embalmed. A pine box and day of death burial would be okay if at all possible. No Open casket viewing either. Now that is morbid! "oh she looks so nice" GAG!
Old March 4, 2015   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

A while back I watched the PBS documentary, "A Family Undertaking." Until then, I had no idea that in some states you can still do a DIY funeral and burial.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #9
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default No embalming,concrete according to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
The process of embalming is the real problem. They pump bodies so full of chemicals that they then have to put them in steel caskets enclosed in concrete boxes to contain the embalming chemicals.
http://www.us-funerals.com/funeral-a...l#.VPcHwz8utDI
Old March 5, 2015   #10
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

I just want to be cremated and sprinkled in a forest. I like gardening but I do not want to be planted after I am gone.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #11
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Death does not bother me because i know where i am going. What happens to my body after i am gone does not matter one bit to me. If i am fertilizer or compost for a tree then good for that tree. Heck you can bury me at sea for all i care.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #12
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Bump..
I think this is great! It's funny, I always tell my wife that I'd like to be buried under the garden when it's my time to go.. She thinks it's creepy lol.. As Heirloomtomaguy said, I know where my soul will be, so what better place for my body than to feed my earthly passion? Don't think I'd eat the crop for a year or two though lol..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The property I'm going to inherit from my dad borders a cemetery with several heavily wooded acres. I'd like to be buried illegally by where the fence is now, and then move it back a little. After the fence is there for twenty years, it will become the new property line, therefore making my burial a legal one.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote