Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2013   #1
bdank
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I reuse diluted Chlorothalonil?

Is it okay to save and reuse the diluted Chlorothalonil that might be leftover after I spray my tomatoes?
bdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #2
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I do, but don't know if I am supposed to or not. I usually use it within three days or so if I am respraying to control a problem. I do rinse the wand though and put a lid on the container until I am ready to reuse it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It is already diluted some in the original packaging. I don't know if the much greater dilution affects it or not. I would reuse it if I didn't have to keep it too long. I usually don't have any left over and if I do I spray it on roses or something else that can use it.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #4
bdank
Tomatovillian™

I'm putting mine in a hose end sprayer so I'm not diluting it fully. I only dilute it's volume by half so it doesn't clog the sprayer. It so expensive that I hate to waste any of it. I would put it in another container and store it in my cool basement until I could use it about a week later. Does anyone see why this might be a problem?
bdank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2013   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

I vaguely remember something like an E. coli or salmonella outbreak in California field grown vegetables traced back to diluted Chlorothalonil (Bravo, Daconil, etc.) left too long in spray tanks. Farmers often use water drawn from outdoor, open air tanks or ponds that may vector salmonella due to carp or turtle populations. But then the pre-diluted spray bottle Daconil you buy of the shelf may be sterile or contain some sort of antibacterial in the solution. I don't know.

http://www.caps.20m.com/bacteria.htm
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2013   #6
JerryRVA
Tomatovillian™

Some fungicides break down quickly in highly alkaline water. Ideal water ph for mixing chemicals is 4 to 6. Water that runs close to 8 can degrade products like Captan in little as 30 minutes according to MSU extension.

I would not keep it over if you are spraying every 5-7 days. Mix enough to use the same day for max effectiveness or spray other labeled plants to not waste the chemical.

Rosemania.com sells a nice set of odd size spoon measures down to 1/16 teaspoon so you can mix very small amounts and not have left over spray.
JerryRVA is offline   Reply With Quote