Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 19, 2015   #1
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Default blue potatos

It's been 15 years since I last grew potatoes. That year I grew reds, russets, and blues. Even at the time I didn't know the variety names. All were good but I especially liked the blues, not only for the novelty, but also because they made a tasty, rather dry, mashed potato.

This year I decided to grow another little patch of blue potatoes. Alas, the nursery where I bought the last ones is long gone, so rather than drive 15 miles to the now nearest nursery, I picked up some Adirondack Blues at Lowes.

Tonight I cut some of the larger ones and discovered, to my dismay, that these are not the same potatoes I grew the last time. These are solid purple whereas the others were mottled purple and white. I'm sure these will make dark purple mashed potatoes, the others made a light blue-ish grey mashed potato.

Can someone please suggest what that other variety might have been?

Thanks,

gary
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote