Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 3, 2009   #1
BR
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics of Wild Boar Farms

I noticed in pic #2 on the web site for Wild Boar Farms Brad has what looks like 2x2 wooded stakes driven into the ground with wire or string between the stakes. The stakes appear to be maybe 5 ft tall. The pics show plants ready for harvest to begin and again at the end of the season. Neither of the pics show plants reaching the top of the stakes yet all his varieties are supposed to be In-determinate. In the pics they look more like Determinate to me. Anyone noticed that?
BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2009   #2
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Could you please post the link? Thanks.

I 'm growing a few WBF tomato varieties and although they are not as tall as my other tomatoes, they are setting fruit earlier than my other tomatoes.

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2009   #3
BR
Tomatovillian™

Go to www.wildboarfarms.com then click on "Photo2" at the top of the page then scroll.
BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2009   #4
Farmer Matt
Tomatovillian™

Go to youtube and type in Wild Boar Farms Forest. All of the plants are about 5-6 feet tall.
Farmer Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2009   #5
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Default determinate?

I use that very same system, and when my plants reach the top I trim them or let them grow over then fall. If I didnt I would have thousands of dollars into the wire to support them, I use galvanized wire, twine or string is not strong enough when you consider each plant will produce up to fifty pounds or better of tomatoes. That is alot of weight in a row of 100 feet.
I also build tomato cages out of scrap 2 x 4's. I only make them 3 ft tall and have to sometimes put two together unless I trim the tops. I have tryed the sprawl method with great results as long as there is a thick layer of straw down, but it is messy, very messy.

Dean
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote