Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 22, 2015   #1
Lycopersica
Tomatovillian™

Default Can probiotics acidify soil?

I've been using rock phosphate with probiotics as a soil amendment. However, it seems to cause some sort of root stress when ever I use it on top of the soil. I applied it during my recent bout with blossom end rot. Afterwards, the mulch got a white crust and the plants struggled to get enough water. I had to start watering them every day and, even then, the new growth would wilt slightly on hot, sunny days.

Thankfully, the plants bounced back after I removed the discolored mulch and gave them extra water for a couple weeks. I'm still scratching my head as to what exactly went wrong though. At first, I thought I overfed them but I haven't had any problems with plant food or other amendments. The only thing I can think of is the probiotic. Could the bacteria be overpopulating and producing a lot of acid? And would an increase in soil acidity make it harder for roots to take up water?