Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 30, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Heat index of 106 and the grow bag garden is doing well!

3rd day of the oppressive heat wave that's expected to last til next weekend and so far all is well in my grow bag garden! I know tomorrow morning I'll be picking peas as there are a bunch ready to be picked, my 5 tomatoeplants 2 Black Sea Man 1 Jet Star, Big Boy are Sweet 100 are now each over 5ft tall and all have tomatoes starting. My peppers 2 Cubanelle, 2 Shisitso and 1 North star are now flowering, My cukes are climbing the cage & trellis, and my pole beans are stretching out now just making sure they all have water. I will hold off using any fertilizer til it cools down... Here's a few pics...

Last edited by Jetstar; June 30, 2018 at 09:00 PM.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018   #2
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Looks really good!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tell me about the heat index, today it got up to 99F and tomorrow even more humid and hot.

No AC here at all. I left the computer to eat my supper which had been packed for me, came back here and what do I see but a Black Bear in the backyard.Haven't seen one of those here in several years. And yes,it did some damage to the suit cake hangers and other stuff that Freda put out there this AM.

Carolyn
Old June 30, 2018   #4
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn I am a little concerned about you in that kind of heat with no AC. Is it not working or do you not have any? It is so easy to get dehydrated and hyperthermia can happen too. Please keep well hydrated. That fan might help more if you had a small basin or bowl of water and a facecloth. Wetting your face and neck and letting the fan blow on you can cool you a bit more. I hope someone is checking on you more frequently during the weather.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018   #5
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

This is the worst heat & humidity we've ever had for such a long period of time. I've made it a point to keep outdoor time tending the garden to under 10 mins, even then I have to shower and put on dry clothes. So please don't take chances in this heat SueCT limit your outdoor time.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Jetstar, I understand the humidity in Wisconsin, but from someone far away, I wouldn't think hot temperatures would be that far north, but they are.

Carolyn, buy a window unit AC if nothing else. You can keep one room cool, and window units can cost less that $500 easily. It's worth it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2018   #7
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Carolyn, buy a window unit AC if nothing else. You can keep one room cool, and window units can cost less that $500 easily. It's worth it.

I agree. Have a place to cool down. You'll be more comfortable and safer.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote