Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 3, 2010   #16
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I am glad to see the interest here. I don't know what the ability of the site is in terms of storing and organizing such a permanent set of files, but it would seem that a first step would be to all work together towards a common format with a strong emphasis upon developing a one page (front only) descriptor of each variety that has a large image at the top followed by a description. All of the wonderful history and in-depth breeding information probably is not as valuble for the general public seeking to buy a good looking, good tasting variety of a particular size. Here, you're not trying to create a tomato database, so much as a marketing tool to entice the customer to buy. The less verbiage, the less ink used to print each page. With a common format, it should be fairly simple to fill in the blanks for the individual varieties. The big question is, could the site here host such a storage and retrieval vehicle so that all members could simply download a page as needed?
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2010   #17
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

mens
Mine are 2 to a page and that is plenty of room - since they are in word you can play with them

do you want a sample - I send Paul 2 (2 per page) of tomatoes he has
Dennis
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2010   #18
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

What I find is that my customer base is pretty steady and set, and people know to go to my website. There, I have Word docs with descriptors of each variety - and people can google for pics and such. I don't get a whole lot of passerby business, but if I do, I am happy to talk about varieties - I also bring a few seed catalogs with me that have loads of heirloom pics (the SSE seed catalog, TGSC). We are only at the market 3 Saturdays in the spring, and that is about it - so don't overdo the marketing bit; this is really not much more than a rather ambitious hobby for us.
Old March 3, 2010   #19
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Craig
What do they charge you to sell at the market?

I used to grow from seed and sell extra plants and at that time had repeat customers who knew what they wanted. They did need educated originally though abd the book with cards helped. I used them more for friends and neighbors as I attached them to my cages so they could read the info instead of asking every 5 minutes - I usually had 120 plants and 80+ varieties at the house and more at the garden plots - never sold mates just gave to neighbors, fellow workers and friends

I also used to carry Carolyns book with me for the few varieties in her book I grew

Dennis
Old March 3, 2010   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Dennis, we are really lucky - the NC State Farmer's market charges 15.00 per day for a space (up fro 10.00 last year, 7.00 a few years prior to that), but it is still just a great deal. The big challenge for Saturday day sellers like me is that the spaces are first come first serve - I've actually gone on Friday night, paid for the day, just to set up. When strawberries come in, it is virtually impossible, and I end up in under a tent in the parking lot - which is fine, I just update my web site the night I set up so people can find me.

I used to pay for a small ad in the newspaper, but at 75-100.00 for a teeny tiny ad in the Home and Garden section in the Saturday Raleigh newspaper, it wasn't worth it. craigslist, my website, word of mouth, repeat business works fine. Yes, of course I have Carolyn's book with me! I also have business cards I hand out, which then get shared with neighbors and friends.

But I am a very tiny operation, and that is fine - at this point it is something that just about pays for itself in materials....the whole purpose is getting people great interesting things to grow and educate them about heirloom varieties.

Another great part is that it leads to doing some local garden talks, which are also great fun!
Old March 3, 2010   #21
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Craig
Isn't it great to hear people say how great the tomatoes were from your plants and better than any they have ever grown.
That is enough for me!!
Dennis
Old March 3, 2010   #22
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Absolutely, Dennis! We've been doing this over ten years...we've had some people getting their plants from us right from the beginning (when we were known as the people with the little plants in the dixie cups!). There is a local CSA that supplies a Raleigh restaurant that gets all of their tomato, pepper and eggplant seedlings from us, and it is great to go to dinner there in the summer to see my "babies" in their creations!
Old March 6, 2010   #23
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Selling something you have grown from zero is really pleasurable, isn't it? I relate entirely, though I'm nearing the end of only my first year, and I know this will not be the last...
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2010   #24
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

WOOOOO HOOOOOO, I sold my first plants at work on Friday!!! I was so excited. I already sold 14 plants only 190 more to go!!!!
I made an order form, and passed it around. I already got back 5 orders, and am bring in the plants on Monday.
How exciting.
Now I need to get some pictures on the order forms somehow.
For the time being I just told everyone what types are what. I will have to perfect the system later. Today am tiling my studio floor- 12 tiles done, 150 more to go.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2010   #25
azgirl
Tomatovillian™

That's awesome. Congratulations. Perfect time to plant here in Arizona!
Old April 14, 2010   #26
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

5 minutes...

Images taken from the web, so I wouldn't splash this around, however if its used at a farmers market I don't think anyone is going to take offense.

Its also not flashy, but I think works. I couldn't help myself, I just like doing things like this in my spare time... if I had any...

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZCard1.jpg (32.1 KB, 69 views)
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2010   #27
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I would also include DTM, plant height, and RL, or PL, det. or indet. Many gardeners look for this info.
Old April 16, 2010   #28
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Now I only need one of those for each of my varieties! In fact, that is exactly what I need to show folks who generally arrive and know only one or two heirlooms. I find myself now with MANY of the less common varieties untouched, even after trying to lead folks to the others. I built a list of my varieties and wrote descriptors by the side of each, but until I have a notebook that folks can look through, the hesistancy will continue for the others....and the plants keep growing every day. Something like a PDF or even a Word file where you could have several entries per pages would surely save paper and ink. Some of my babies are already 9" tall and need to MOVE!
Old April 16, 2010   #29
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Well I did it, I sold all of my plants WHOOOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!
I really did not think I would. I even have given up some of my own plants because people still wanted some.
I really cannot believe I sold them all.
Sammiek.
Old April 16, 2010   #30
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
Well I did it, I sold all of my plants WHOOOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!
I really did not think I would. I even have given up some of my own plants because people still wanted some.
I really cannot believe I sold them all.
Sammiek.
Now THAT is truly a cause to celebrate. They are selling regularly, with about five driving here daily, but I swear they are multipling. Just had two WONDERFUL young men re-organize and alphabetize ALL of those in pots in exchange for plants. It feels really good to be encouraging those fine, young folks! Now, I'm busily potting my final seed flats of the more recent seed arrivals and hopeful of getting those out soon. Folks here will NOT buy the colorful varieties. If it's not red, the locals don't want any part of them.