Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 26, 2014   #16
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure if it was last summer or the summer before. But we had a whole lot of cabbage that was selling slow at the farmers market. We had thought of taking some to the auction just so it wouldn't go bad in the field. Good to hear that the prices aren't worth the hassle.

We too are a "growers" market and I swear most of the Hmongs there buy and we know they trade among themselves but the management never seems to do anything about it. But if any of US do any little thing wrong, it's tough luck,bye,bye. Since it's the best market in the state, we just have to hold our tongue most of the time.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #17
moon1234
Tomatovillian™

Must be the Dane County Farmer's Market. Liberal Madison would rather a gay female hippy minority on food stamps resells veggies than a white <any gender> farmer who actually grows their own produce.

Luckily we go to a few smaller markets and the market managers will not tolerate these types of things.

The produce auction is really geared towards supporting the Amish community. 75% or 80% of the sellers are Amish that live within 10 miles of the auction site. Produce comes in on horse and wagon. The cost of selling is lower as the Amish don't charge each other a commission. If an "English" sells at auction they charge a commission. No markup for supplies though.

I ran the numbers once and it was more advantageous to donate to the 2nd Harvest Food Bank and take a tax write off on the value of the produce. At least that way needy people get the food and I reduce my taxable income. You generally can take the cost of production plus 50%. This many times comes out to be better than what you will get at auction, no always, but usually. I guess that depends though on having enough sales to actually have a tax write off.
moon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #18
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

You got it right about Madison. I sell at Madison and Hubby sells at West Bend.

We also do a lot of donating to our local food pantry and you are right about it going to people who need it. I'll have to talk with my tax man about how to figure the write-off as we've been lax about that.

carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2014   #19
stoneridge4030
Tomatovillian™

www.socontainers.com
stoneridge4030 is offline   Reply With Quote