Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old January 25, 2007   #1
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Chocolate Stripes and Steve's Cross

Can anyone give me more information about these plants? Growth habit, etc.? Who's Steve?

Thanks!
Lisa
Old January 25, 2007   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, I was able to find this info:

Gardeners' Notes:

Rating Author Comment
Positive hurono On Jun 15, 2006, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

Developed by John Siegel of Covington, Ohio this is a very attractive bicolor tomato. A cross between a Schimmeig Creg and a pink beefsteak. It has the attractiveness of the SC but far more flavor and larger size. This was a really good beautiful tomato.
Old January 27, 2007   #3
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Lisa:
I'm wondering if the Steve's Cross you're looking for is one that CHOPTAGER Steve S. brought to the 2005 Tastefest.
It won Most Beautiful that year.
There are two pix if you go to the hyperlink found in History Of CHOPTAG in this forum.
I rec'd six F3 seeds of this cross from Steve at the 2006 Seed Swap and grew a few out last year. They were in a bad spot in the garden and I didn't get the beauties that Steve gets, but they had an excellent flavor.
I would imagine Steve would share a few seeds if you're interested.
Dave
Old January 28, 2007   #4
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Dave,

I collected seeds from the Steve's Cross tomato at last year's Taste Fest. I plan to grow it out this year, so I added it to my data base. I don't have any information about it, i.e. regular leaf? Indeterminate? Early? Etc.

Thanks!
Lisa

P.S. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Old January 29, 2007   #5
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Lisa:
I'll PM you the info to contact Steve directly.
As to my plants from his seed--two were RL and two were PL. Weghts were in the 8-10 oz range but they weren't in good garden locations.
DTM's were 68,71,79 and 87 days.
Again, I really liked the taste.
Dave
Old January 31, 2007   #6
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone remember who brought Steve's Cross tomato to the 2006 CHOPTAG Taste Fest? Was it YOU, Dave? I seem to remember standing at your table, madly cramming tomato slices into a baggie!

Earl, thank you for the information on Chocolate Stripes! Now, wasn't that the winner of the most beautiful in '06? Where did the photo go? (Oh nevermind.... in the history of CHOPTAG, right?)

Lisa
Old January 31, 2007   #7
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Lisa,
Chocolate Stripes, it's 4th from the far end on the '06 page
Old January 31, 2007   #8
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Lisa:
Yes, I brought several Steve's Cross and I'm sorry but I don't recall which of the four plants they came from.

As to Chocolate Stripe:
Look at grungy's post under Available For Trade where she comments on their grow out of this variety last year.
Dave
Old February 1, 2007   #9
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

With permission, I am posting the information that Steve S. emailed regarding the tomato, Steve's Cross:

Quote:
The seed you have represents a line of the F4 generation. I used seed from the same line to grow this past summer & I have selected 2 lines for this summer. I cannot tell you for sure what that seed will give you this summer only to say that it should be similar if we assume that the fruit that you saved seed from was not crossed in their garden.... I have had good luck over the years by simply separating my varieties by 7 feet. However, in summer 2003 one of my Green Zebra plants accidentally got pollinated by Brandywine Glick's strain---it was the closest potato leaf variety. So summer 2004 my "Green Zebra" produces orange-striped fruit & I realize that I have an accidental cross. Summer 2005 I had a real grab bag of fruits of all sorts of different colors. I brought a fruit from that cross to the CHOPTAG 2005 Taste Fest & it won the prize for most beautiful tomato. The 2 lines I have now are practically identical, save 1 is potato leaf & the other is regular foliage. The fruits average around 300 grams & are a dark brown-red with green shoulders. The plants are indeterminate & I have selected for plant vigor. Now with the F4 generation there will not be very much variation from plant to plant but it certainly is not a stable variety. I probably will not deem it to be a stable new variety until the F6 generation at which point I will put some moniker on it... Once it is stabilized I will make it available thru Seed Saver's Exchange... DTM has varied among my different plants but has averaged around 85 days or so.
Old March 14, 2007   #10
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Chocolate Stripe

Al Anderson from Troy, Ohio, brought the Chocolate Stripe to the Tomato Tasting 2006. He is friend to John Siegel who first grew the Chocolate Stripe.

"Developed by John Siegel of Covington, Ohio this is a very attractive bicolor tomato. A cross between a Schimmeig Creg and a pink beefsteak. It has the attractiveness of the SC but far more flavor and larger size. This was a really good beautiful tomato."
Gary
Old March 30, 2007   #11
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Dave et. al.,

Of the 10 seeds of Steve's cross that I started, 2 were PL and 8 RL. So perhaps there was a cross in Dave's garden or still unstable? Anyway, I'm keeping the PL but will gladly share the RL Steve's Cross with anyone who'd like to give it a try.

Lisa
Old March 31, 2007   #12
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Lisa :
Here is some background data on the seeds you obtained from Steve's Red/Green Cross that I brought to CHOPTAG 2006 Tastefest.
The seeds from which these tomatoes were grown were obtained from Steve in Jan 06.
There were 6 seeds, which when planted came up 2 PL,
2 RL and 2 never developed to the stage where leaf type could be determined.
The envelope was marked F3 and 03RL1 meaning that they were from the Reg. Leaf line he saved.
While it's possible that there was another accidental cross in my garden, it's not likely.
Unfortunately I did not record whether the tomatoes I brought were from a PL or RL plant. I saw no difference in the fruit from either leaf type.
But it would seem that it should be the RL plants that should be carried forward.
Steve said the cross is not yet stable and he won't consider it so until he gets F6 seeds.
My germinatin on the F4 seeds this year was 1/5 after 12 days, so if you have a couple RL's going begging at the plant swap, I'll take them and plant them out. It's a darn tasty tomato.
Dave
Old March 31, 2007   #13
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hey Dave,
Yup... I'll be keeping the 2 PLs and probably 2 RLs and bringing the rest to the Plant Swap for you and anyone who's interested.

Spent the day potting up tomatoes.... about 400... just a few more to go and I'll be finished. I'll post what varities I have available in a day or two.

Lisa

Last edited by Miss_Mudcat; March 31, 2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old June 5, 2007   #14
tomatoaddict

I got one of the Steve's Cross' from Ms. mudcat at the plant swap and had a question.
All of my tomato plants are doing really well and look very healthy and bushy except that one. It doesn't look like it has any disease but the foliage is quite sparse and not really full. Looks kind of puny. Is anyone else experiencing this or is it just my garden? I happened to plant that one in a spot where I had dumped alot of coffee grounds and I'm wondering if it could be that or if it's suppossed to be kind of spindley?
Old June 6, 2007   #15
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Each year I promise myself I’ll keep better track of what I bring home from the plant swap and every year I don’t.

Did anyone besides Lisa bring any Steve’s Cross to the Swap? I have a plant but don’t know who I got it from.

I also need to check tonight to see if it is RL or PL.

Hope everyone’s gardens are doing well.

OK - If Miss Mudcat only brought RL then someone else had to have brought some. My SC is PL. It's a good looking plant with several blossoms but no fruit set yet.

Last edited by JerryL; June 6, 2007 at 06:11 PM.