Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 12, 2007   #1
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Default I know nothing about growing potatoes, please assist

I am a potato newbie, please help

The one thing my DH has never allowed me to try to grow has been potatoes. I have bought bags of potatoes, used what I needed and "forgot" about them. So for several years, I was not even allowed to buy them. For our anniversary DH got some seed potatoes for me, showing me that all is forgiven. Here is the problem, what do I do with them?

I understand I plant then and I read about cutting them, so each piece has 1-2 eyes, and letting the cut heal etc. Not one site tells me which direction to plant the eyes in. This may sound like a stupid question, but I thought point them us as they become the plant. One of the sites I read just stomp them in the ground. Any advice would be helpful

Also could I put them on the same fertilizer routine as the tomatoes, peppers, etc or do they need special treatment?

Thank you
bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote