Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 23, 2016   #61
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, everyone !
After having frost, 4 nights in a row, tonight's low will be 45F. And there is no frost in the forecast for the next 15 days. I drink to that.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #62
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

BUMP:
The weather, the forgotten element in gardening.

My last post was last November here, almost two and half months ago.
We seem to have passed the the hump of winter, down here. Last nigh's low of 27F wont be repeated for at least next 15 days. The highs will be from mid 50s to mid 70s. By then we will be welcoming March.
Seems that the Weather Bureau's long term forecast for the first quarter of 2017 is proven to be very close. WARMER THAN AVERAGE. I drink to that !

How is your weather ? Clement or not ?

Happy Gardening !
Old February 10, 2017   #63
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

Finally, after so many days I have opportunity to actually see the Sun.

Lowest night temperatures in next period will still be 24-25F but it is still early to start seed anyway. At least we will have sunlight for my 3 windowsill experimental tomatoes and lonely Meyer lemon seedling.

When my paycheck arrive first thing to buy will be thermometer to measure temperature in my new-built cold frame. Curious to find out how many degrees will be warmer inside cold frame compared to outside temperature.
Old February 10, 2017   #64
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

It was 88*F last two days, but it's back to high 70* again. It's too hot, I'm trying to grow tomatoes here!
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #65
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Clement, 52F this morning, going to 74F today. If so, it will break the former all-time high of 68F, set last year.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #66
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

With the days getting longer and solar altitude increasing the weather is destined to warm up.
Coming Wednesday our day will be exactly 11 hours long. It will take a while for the warmer North Hemisphere weather to blend in.The power of Sun is amazing.
In my location they are selling cole crops, lettuce, ... plants now. When I see tomato plants in the garden centers, I will jump in and start planting out. My first batch of tomato seedlings are about 4" tall and are growing faster everyday
OK, let us keep our fingers crossed that this is going to be a great season.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 10, 2017   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Froze my butt off yesterday morning hot today.
A 24 hour cold snap.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #68
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Snow yesterday, snow tonight, snow on Sunday, snow on Monday, snow on Wednesday, snow on Thursday.

It must February in New England...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #69
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
With the days getting longer and solar altitude increasing the weather is destined to warm up.
Coming Wednesday our day will be exactly 11 hours long. It will take a while for the warmer North Hemisphere weather to blend in.The power of Sun is amazing.
In my location they are selling cole crops, lettuce, ... plants now.
I'm Zone 6, and you sound two months ahead of me. Maybe you'll be Zone 8 the next time they re-draw the map.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #70
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm Zone 6, and you sound two months ahead of me. Maybe you'll be Zone 8 the next time they re-draw the map.
I am zone 8a. That means we have mild and short winters.
The statistical average low for the coldest months ( Dec, Jan) is about 30-32F But we can/may get frost (10% probability) well into late April. Any wind coming from N, NW, NE , NNW, NNE can bring us cold weather.
But this winter we have been having milder than average winter.

Per current 15 day forecast we will probably have lows going down to 32F couple of nights ... tonight's low is 56F. This is like mid July in Seattle, WA.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 11, 2017   #71
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer,we must live near each other!
It is almost too hot for my taste this weekend. Starting my peppers and tomatoes,hope I'm not too late. Mosquitoes and gnats out today,ugh!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #72
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Gardeneer,we must live near each other!
It is almost too hot for my taste this weekend. Starting my peppers and tomatoes,hope I'm not too late. Mosquitoes and gnats out today,ugh!
No , Tracy, I don't think that it is too late. Don't let the unusually warm weather fool you. Our LFD here in Southwest Columbus County is around April 10th.
I have tried to push the season, as an experiment, to possibly plant out SOME tomatoes in March , weather permitting. I have yet to start my second, main batch. I will do that maybe next weekend. But I am done with peppers and eggplants. They are slow growing.

Happy Gardening !
Old February 12, 2017   #73
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
No , Tracy, I don't think that it is too late. Don't let the unusually warm weather fool you. Our LFD here in Southwest Columbus County is around April 10th.
I have tried to push the season, as an experiment, to possibly plant out SOME tomatoes in March , weather permitting. I have yet to start my second, main batch. I will do that maybe next weekend. But I am done with peppers and eggplants. They are slow growing.
Find a large tulip poplar near you. I'm sure there are plenty of them up there because I saw some of the largest ones I have ever seen in NC. Keep an eye on it and when it starts leafing out good it is time to set out tomatoes. I have been using this for my signal since that blizzard back in the early 1990s when every other tree and plant got fooled. I lost everything in my garden and all my fruit trees lost everything that year.
So far the tree has never missed for me but it will sometimes be a week or so late but I have never found it to be early. I just wait til I see green buds popping up all over the tree and then plant. I don't use it for planting beans or squash because it will still be too frosty for those and a few other crops. For them I wait til the nights are consistently in the 50s or above.

Yesterday was forecast high was 77 but it got to 83.8 and today is forecast to be 79; but it will probably be hotter. Thursday night it is supposed to be in the 30s. We sure can have some erratic temperature changes down here in the winter and spring I just hope we don't have a bark busing cold front come in before winter is over.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #74
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My pomegranate trees and many other plants are putting out leaves.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017   #75
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It was 88 degrees here yesterday tying the record set back in 1922. Next Tuesday (3 days later) it's supposed to rain all day with the high temperature in the 40s.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote