Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old November 9, 2023   #1
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

Default Dunganski, hard neck Garlic

I couldn't keep myself out of the garden. I thought I was done for this year, but I think I caught the garlic bug. Here it is 11/9 in zone 5b and im planting again

This time around I bought one pound of Dunganski hard neck size jumbo. The bulbs were very nice, firm, clean, blemish free. Each bulb had 10-11 cloves, and of those cloves most of them were large a few were smaller. I received 9 bulbs in the package. After cracking, I ended up with 106 total cloves. 80 of those cloves were large, 13 were medium, 13 were small, and there was two micro sized cloves.

I plan on planting all of the cloves just to see how the smaller ones size up. I just finished sterilizing the cloves by soaking them in 70% isopropyl alcohol for 10 minutes. I then drained the alcohol, and put the cloves in a liquid fertilizer and baking soda solution. I will soak them in this solution over night, and plant the cloves tomorrow.

This variety of garlic should store around 10 months once its cured.
crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2023   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

You have some skills, Amen!!

The Native Americans used Garlic to overcome Colds and Fever.

I love the Purple in this type of Garlic.

If you have some to sell after your success; send me a message.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2023   #3
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

Eventually I plan on scaling up my entire garlic stock and start selling to market. The types im growing are Music, Ivan, Dunganski. I plan on growing Russian Red, and Inchelium Red garlic next year.
crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2023   #4
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

We need to start a Trading Post with each other which can be done here in the United States with each other, like Native Americans did with themselves before the Trial of Tears. The way I understand the Trade was done by Sending a Shipment each year at the same time each year. You can send me the bags of your Garlic and I can send you Winter Vegetables in the Spring and Heirloom Tomatoes in the Summer. It is a system that takes a lot of Faith.

Maybe you can start it up here at Tomatoville, Amen!!

Last edited by MrsJustice; November 14, 2023 at 07:16 PM.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote