Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 5, 2015   #1
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Default Can u plant 2 cherry tomatoes plants

In a container that measures 21-22 across the top tapers down some and is around 18 inches tall. I would think they hold 10 gallons or better. Plastic ones sold at the dollar general and lowes. I usually just plant one per pot. The weather turned for the worst and they grew like crazy inside now 27 inches tall. I can plant them on Saturday. I just have 18 plants and I can only give a few away.
Old March 5, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

It would be better to plant them in individual pots but it will work. You may notice decreased production on both plants. Also if one plant shows signs of disease you can almost guarantee the other one is going down with it.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Despite the name cherry tomato plants are almost always massive beasts. Maybe some smaller growing plants would be better.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I got this vision in my head of two different color cherries growing together. Being well manicured and trained like a bonsai tree. Yellow fruit on one side and red on the other.

I think it could be done, but as already written above - any problems with one would be spread to the other.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #5
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I got this vision in my head of two different color cherries growing together. Being well manicured and trained like a bonsai tree. Yellow fruit on one side and red on the other.

I think it could be done, but as already written above - any problems with one would be spread to the other.
This is my 3rd year planting this and sungolds in containers and as it was said large plants. I am not concerned about virus or diseases as I am about crowding the container

Otherwise they get tossed into the compost pile
Old March 5, 2015   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Keep in mind two plants means 2 x the water, fertilizer and support. I do it every year. I call it my cherry tree and it lives on the deck. Last year it was pink and purple bumblebee and it was beautiful. Be prepared for high maintenance though.
Kareno
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #7
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Graft the two together and they can share one root ball.
A "double play" graft.
I did 2 "triple plays" last year with cherries. It grows as a normal plant with the "branches" putting out their respective fruit.
Here's a link to Delerium's thread
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=404370
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

How about just getting a 20 gallon tote or bigger and planting two in it.
The darn things are cheap you could even cut two holes in the lid for the plants to grow out of helping conserve moisture.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

The recycle bins the county provides make great containers for a single tomato. Oftentimes you can find them laying on the side of the road.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
The recycle bins the county provides make great containers for a single tomato. Oftentimes you can find them laying on the side of the road.
Yeah like today on my street, it is trash pickup day.

I am not advocating anything here folks.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #11
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

One plant can get 8 to 10 feet wide if you train the branches.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #12
snugglekitten
BANNED

I think it creates unnecessary stress for the plants, imo, as they are spending more energy defending themselves, trying to outgrow each other for more foliage to get more sun instead of pushing all their energy into fruit production.

This is not a scientifically verified statement, just my own experience.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Oh I don't know, I don't think these look too stressed.

Would each plant do better in a separate pot? maybe but There were more cherries on my "cherry tree" than most people would want. It can be done but as I said earlier, they are high maintenance, requiring daily watering and regular fertilizer. The Plant on the left against the lattice consists of 2 different color cherries in one pot. In this case, super snow white and Dr. Carolyn pink from 2013. For reference, that lattice is not quite 7 feet.
Gardening rules are made to be broken. Do what you want
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cherry tree.jpg (108.1 KB, 89 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #14
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Karen, how big is that pot?
Old March 7, 2015   #15
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Tomorrow is my targetted transplant date and I'm running slow. I just finished the arduous task of chopping down and up and removing 17 tomato plants from 5 gallon buckets, one per bucket and tried to recover some of the soil media.

Curiosity got the better of me and I carefully cleaned out the roots of all of them to inspect what was going on, look for disease and pests, and compare to the sizes of the roots. Of the 17, all the 4 cherry/grape varieties completely formed a solid rootbound mass, yet none of the other 13 plants of 7 other varieties did. Interestingly, none of the plants appeared stressed and all were covered in flowers and just beginning to set fruit fine.

If I had a light soil mix, I could see putting 2 cherry tomatoes like these in a 10 gallon tote, but it would be my last choice, I'd put other non-cherry varieties in there first since I can see two cherries in a 10 gallon container lowering yield and breathing "" space for the roots.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote