Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old June 5, 2012   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default poultry waste

i can buy this in a 40 pound bag, they don't have smaller bags. obviously this is dried not wet or damp but once the bad is opened does this stuff stink bad? i'd be storing it in the basement and don't want the basement to reek. i have blood meal and bone meal down there but they hardly smell tho my dog was always attracted to them.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #2
macmex
Tomatovillian™

My guess is, that if it is dry, it won't stink.

George
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

I just got a bag of dried poultry manure which sounds like the same or similar product. I was warned not to let it get wet, because if so it will get stinky. Storing in a shed or in your basement should be fine, as long as it ain't wet!

The manufacturer says it can be used for top dressing, but to avoid any issues with the smell, I was advised (by experienced user) it's better to till it in.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #4
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

I have a bag.....it smells

Mine is chickity doo doo.
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #5
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

um Tom, it is seriously stinky. Maybe double bag it. I use it a lot, I get the purdue poop.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #6
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Yes I was going to say if its anything like the chickity doo doo, its gonna stink. Just make sure you keep the bag closed tightly.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012   #7
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
...chickity doo doo, its gonna stink....
That's it! That's it! That's what I got. P. U. (but you won't smell it a mile away! )
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012   #8
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Chicken poop fertilizers are commonly sold here and many people use the stuff for their tomatoes when planting. One year I followed advice from other Finnish gardeners to put it on bottom of milk carton, when transplanting tomato seedlings. I had still two months before planting out and there was terrible smell every time I watered my plants.
If it is used as top dressing, the smell will go away in a week, but can be terrible, when it is still fresh and you get good sunshine after a rain. One year the city used it on the lawn around the city hall and I almost puked when walking past it.

Last edited by svalli; June 6, 2012 at 03:37 AM. Reason: spelling
svalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012   #9
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i really don't know what poultry waste is, does anyone know? if you have a bag that says poutry waste what's the ingredients?

i did not think it was droppings or it'd be dehydrated manure but then chickens don't produce manure like 4 footed animals. in birds the pee and poop all come out together and the ammonia content when fresh is nearly toxic to breathe! i know it is one of the hottest there is. maybe it is the droppings and bedding from the floor? i thought it may be feathers, guts but not manure.

i expect any dampness like humidity will cause it to reek in the bag.

i cleaned out a hen house several years ago and it was really bad. chicken $hit is only topped by pig manure for the outrageous stench! i remember a chicken farm back in the 70's by lake quassapaug on rt. 64 in middlebury and when you got within 1/2 mile on the road you could smell the place!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012   #10
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i cleaned out a hen house several years ago and it was really bad.
Oh gosh - this is the worst thing I've ever smelled in my life - ever. So awful.

I bought a bag of something from Menards that I thought was called something like "Chicken Poo". Can't find it now but I thought it said it was poultry waste. I used it in my front perennial bed and did, in fact, smell a poopy smell for a while but not long (maybe a week). It was NOTHING **** N-O-T-H-I-N-G **** like the make-me-faint-I'm-going-to-die smell from a hen house!

Here's a link to an article about poultry waste: http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/Aub-244.html
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012   #11
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default Lake Quassapaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post

i remember a chicken farm back in the 70's by lake quassapaug on rt. 64 in middlebury and when you got within 1/2 mile on the road you could smell the place!

tom
Tom,

I used to love going to lake quassapaug as a child. And yes there was a stinky farm near there. I also used to teach horseback riding lessons at Frazier farm, that was in Woodbury. The woman who lived on the farm kept about 40 horses or so as I remember. This is a separate farm from the farm near Quassy. Thank you for bringing back a nice memory from my childhood.
Old June 6, 2012   #12
NGGrant
Tomatovillian™

I have a hen house that I use straw as bedding, every 4 months I remove it and pile it in my compost. Doesn't smell bad at all until it is piled up and wet.
Old June 7, 2012   #13
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Tom

Here is a link to a brochure on "perdue agricycle" chicken waste. This is the brand I use.
It tells what the nutrients are but it says "Our proprietary process dries and pasteurizes poultry litter to create both pellets and granular fertilizer that can be used as a stand-alone organic fertilizer or to complement other products."

anyway here is the link
http://www.perdueagrirecycle.com/pdf/MS60_Broc_2011.pdf
Old July 17, 2012   #14
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

oh yeah, Chickity doo doo stinks to high heaven. My kids kept asking me if it was the litter box because I had the bag on the screened porch for a while (closed!). eww.
Old July 22, 2012   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I got a couple of bags from Lowes the other day for a top dressing on my bell peppers. I put it in the trunk and by the time I got home I could smell it in the car. The next day when I got in the car I could still smell it. If I were you I would put the bags in another larger plastic bag and seal it for storage if it is going to be anywhere inside your home, even the basement.

It is very good fertilizer but it can be quite smelly but the bagged stuff is not nearly as bad as the stuff straight from a chicken house.
About 20 years ago I got a pickup load from a friend who had some chicken houses and before I could unload it and till it all in it started raining really hard. The next day the smell was awful and it stunk for over a week. My neighbors were ready to string me up.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote