Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old May 24, 2013   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Help !!! Need Source For These

I'm not 100% sure where I got the ones I have, but I'm looking for some more. They are perfect for the ~9 oz plastic cups that I use all the time for potting up.

The dimensions are (measured across the top of the tray openings) 3" x 3" x 3". There are 18 compartments and each has openings at the bottom to allow moisture out (and in). They're made of plastic that is the same thinkness as standard 72 hole flats and fit well into a standard 1020 tray, although the fit is a bit loose. It will also handle 16 oz plastic cups, but that's with a tight fit that is somewhat crowded. I often use a combination of 9 oz and 16 oz cups and alternate positions to reduce crowding.

I think I got the ones I have from a nursery down in Georgia. However, they are no longer open. My memory seems to suggest that they were for plants to be sold by the tray to landscapers. Instead of cups, the entire tray was to be bumped on the ground to spill out the plants.

I didn't see them at GreenHouseMegaStore. Before some tedious looking out on the web, I thought I'd see if someone here knows a source. I'd really appreciate any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.JPG (274.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0002.JPG (383.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0003.JPG (270.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0004.JPG (254.2 KB, 28 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #2
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I'm not 100% sure where I got the ones I have, but I'm looking for some more. They are perfect for the ~9 oz plastic cups that I use all the time for potting up.

The dimensions are (measured across the top of the tray openings) 3" x 3" x 3". There are 18 compartments and each has openings at the bottom to allow moisture out (and in). They're made of plastic that is the same thinkness as standard 72 hole flats and fit well into a standard 1020 tray, although the fit is a bit loose. It will also handle 16 oz plastic cups, but that's with a tight fit that is somewhat crowded. I often use a combination of 9 oz and 16 oz cups and alternate positions to reduce crowding.

I think I got the ones I have from a nursery down in Georgia. However, they are no longer open. My memory seems to suggest that they were for plants to be sold by the tray to landscapers. Instead of cups, the entire tray was to be bumped on the ground to spill out the plants.

I didn't see them at GreenHouseMegaStore. Before some tedious looking out on the web, I thought I'd see if someone here knows a source. I'd really appreciate any help.
What you have are what is called "Insert Trays" used for 1801 Inserts. You don't need to use Web Trays with this as a growing system.

Growers use them instead of Web Flats since they are ridgid and each pot sits inside its own pocket.

These are my preferred way to growing, instead of Web trays because of the ridgidity and they will last way longer than the Web trays.

I, still have a lot, that are over 10 years old.

Terry
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #3
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

http://mdplantsandsupplies.com/catol...Containers.pdf

Maybe these are what you're looking for...they appear to be rigid instead of the break apart type. Scroll down...
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #4
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I have some carrying trays like that - I scrounged them from a nursery - they were used to hold small plastic round pots with flowers, hence are deeper than the ones that hold the square pots. Never been able to find them online though, unfortunately. I'm sure they're out there somewhere.
Old May 24, 2013   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Sue. At the bottom of page 51 in that pdf document is the "TR1801" that fits my dimension description exactly.

And, yes, it is not a breakaway type. It's solid. It still needs some extra support from a carrying frame to move them around a lot (in and out of the garage during hardening off) especially when full of damp growing medium.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited to comment: I went back to Green House Megastore and found a similar product under Landscape trays. Seems like the costs are about $1.30 or so each in quantities of 50. I've also found some other similar products at the website noted by Sue.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; May 24, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #6
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Yes, Sue. At the bottom of page 51 in that pdf document is the "TR1801" that fits my dimension description exactly.

And, yes, it is not a breakaway type. It's solid. It still needs some extra support from a carrying frame to move them around a lot (in and out of the garage during hardening off) especially when full of damp growing medium.

Thanks a bunch.

Edited to comment: I went back to Green House Megastore and found a similar product under Landscape trays. Seems like the costs are about $1.30 or so each in quantities of 50. I've also found some other similar products at the website noted by Sue.
Ted

The bottom of pg 51 are the trays, and they don't need to be used with Webtrays. On page 52 are the Inserts, or what you probably know them as pots, Each sheet has 18 insert/pots that fit into the pg 51 trays.

One thing you might want to know about ITML, they sell what are called "True" and "Traditional" just make sure what ever you buy 2 or more of that you don't mix "True" and "Traditional".

Terry
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote