Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 19, 2007   #1
cozy
Tomatovillian™

Default Help needed ....

2nd year with cages, never had/seen anything like this ... and no, this is not a spot that has repeatedly grown tomatoes for years ( as far as being an existing disease condition).
I have grown 'maters here before but without problems and the last time was 2 years ago ( pre-cages).
I've always staked and pretty much let whatever run the gamut with little consequence but this is definitely different.
At a loss and worried about more. Been in a drought but watered "enough" I think ... despite working out of town.
Spent 2 hrs culling leaves and spraying with Daconil but 30 minutes later, out of the blue skies, got 3/10 inch rain.
Some look good, some look sad ... some must go. What is this and how do I recover?
Please advise .... even if just thought...let me know what to do!
Thanks
Hal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0344.jpg (202.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0345.jpg (185.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0346.jpg (211.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0347.jpg (216.3 KB, 17 views)
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2007   #2
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

The plant in the second photo has a dark halo (in the left area) of a leaf that looks a bit like early blight, but I'm no expert. . . just learned about it when I thought I had it. :-)

Do any of the other leaves have the little brown halos/targets?
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007   #3
cozy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mate! That's what I had originally thought and tried to remedy.
I went through it again this morning and it hasn't rained yet so maybe .... just maybe savable!
I think that the first pic/plant may be Round Up from last year. I washed the sprayer really good but forgot the wand and it was the first to get sprayed.
So ... cull leaves ( burn, not compost), spray, repeat weekly. Does it get better at this stage or throughout the season?
Tough working out of town. I always say that I'm "growing work" for the closer things get to producing in the garden, the more time away I must spend
Old June 20, 2007   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Bright yellow foliage has been, for me, first sign of Fusarium wilt. What typically follows is that the yellow parts wilt in the heat, may recover a bit, but eventually die. Part of the plant can be affected, other parts fine. Very troublesome issue - I am quite familiar with it.
Old June 20, 2007   #5
cozy
Tomatovillian™

ARRRGGGHHH!
Think I would rather have Early Blight Craig!
The more I read, the more confused I get.
I did grow peppers in this plot last year ... and they died an ugly death. Eggplants kinda were sad as well.
" Solanaceous crop plants (tomato, potato, pepper, and egg- plant) may be infected at any age by the fungi that cause Fusarium wilt and Verticillium wilt." -> http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3122.html

And it has been a strange yr indeed. 90+ temps early, then late frost that wiped out my apples/peaches/cherries/hydrangeas.)
Also ....
"1) Use only clean seed saved from disease-free plants." -> http://pmo.umext.maine.edu/factsht/earlytom.htm
This is my first year in many ( maybe 10) with new seed. When I opened my saved seed envelope this year ... there was not but 13. Apparently I left them on the kitchen counter too long and something went awry. So I ordered some more ( no accusations being made, just info). I have not seen this disease on plants from my seed ... full, bushy, tall, loaded but not really sure what they are for the leaves are smaller.
Weird year thus far all the way around.
Pics below are of the leaves I culled this morning ( sun has dried them out) ... awaiting the wind to die down before burning.
The last pic shows plants from purchased seed ( front - minus leaves) vs saved seed ( rear - seemingly unaffected). Is this possible?
No telling what I have got going on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0348.jpg (286.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0349.jpg (220.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0350.jpg (256.9 KB, 14 views)