Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 12, 2013   #16
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Our local "Farmer's Market" has evolved into more of an artisan fair with very few actual farmers. I stopped going, but last time I did, one of the "farmers" was selling corn way too early, and got very evasive when I asked them if they grew it...
I understand that farmers cannot grow everything and they may not be able to sell everything at the farmers markets they attend. I see nothing wrong with farmer 'A' selling to farmer 'B' who then sells to me. At least that is the way my local farmers market works sometimes. As long as they know who and how it was grown, it works for me.

Usually, farmers 'A' and 'B' have been working together for a long time. They know and depend on each other as we depend on them.

Russel

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #17
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Gardener View Post
I understand that farmers cannot grow everything and they may not be able to sell everything at the farmers markets they attend. I see nothing wrong with farmer 'A' selling to farmer 'B' who then sells to me. At least that is the way my local farmers market works sometimes. As long as they know who and how it was grown, it works for me.

Usually, farmers 'A' and 'B' have been working together for a long time. They know and depend on each other as we depend on them.

Russel
We are a producers market where I attend. We are to be the producer of said item, not "a purveyor of fine fruits and vegetables". In theory it is a great idea and how a grocery store operates and that is what you expect, but I have a problem with farmer C who just purveyed from farmer A and B (or a produce auction) and claims it as their own and that it is organic, too.
Old June 13, 2013   #18
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

clkeiper,

I know EXACTLY how you feel.

I started at what was purported to be a "producer" only market 35 years ago. We sold there for over 20 years. But I finally couldn't stand it (read compete) when on any given Saturday about 1/2 of the produce there was (to me) obviously from the downtown commission market vendors (wholesalers) or from a huge commercial farm 2 counties away. I have to hire labor and couldn't compete with the low prices they were able to do on the "bought" produce.

My other related complaint was about a couple of the vendors that inevitably would bring in a pickup or bigger load of something about a week or 2 ahead of anyone else before anything local was ready. Instead of dribbles as we know a product starts with. Often it was tomatoes or melons that were predictably tasteless as shipped stuff is. Then you would hear customers wandering around mumbling that "the stuff doesn't taste good this year" .

Well DUH !!!!! Of course it doesn't taste good. It isn't home grown. But if you complained to the management of the market that the vendor was cheating often they blew it off or would come inspect YOU instead of them. Also the offenders knew that the "inspectors" didn't know what to look for. If you had 20 ft of green beans you could bring in bushels every market (3 / week).

The final straw was when a vendor I knew only had 1/2 acre of newly planted asparagus brought in more than I did from my BIL's 12 acres. It was a cool spring and when I complained about it their answer was "well they are farther south than you." Yes my little farm was north of them. But in reality my asparagus came from about 75 miles south of theirs and from a mature field.

So now I sell at 1 market that is truly "producer only" and another that is a lot better than that first market.

I could go on about customers too, but another time.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #19
Ronaye

Maybe put up a sign saying "These are VINE RIPENED, not GASSED!"
All my local grocers have lovely looking red tomatoes that, when you get them home and slice into them, are of the hard, green, gassed-to-bring-out-the-red variety. Even some of them in the organic sections - gassing is organic?
So I understand the reason for squeezing...although I do not squeeze, I palpate ;-)
This year I'm growing my own, but if I happen into a farmer's market, I promise I won't squeeze if you promise they're not gassed!
rt
Old June 16, 2013   #20
Keger
Tomatovillian™

The real problem with markets is us, the sellers.

Many outright lie to customers, many create confusion, and many have no sense of fair play or integrity.

For example, one market I work here rolls like this:

Hours are 2-6. A couple vendors show up at 12, meet people early, and then keep doing it. Telling customers to come early to get their best stuff.

If you use daconil or miraclegro, just say so. If you use roundup before you till, just say so. Don't laugh and joke with other sellers about how organic is not possible around here if you plant to have anything to sell, and then tell customers you use no pesticides or sprays of any kind.

I tell customers I follow the guidelines at Texas A&M for our area, and I treat when I have to.

So in other words, don't to the Monsanto protest in Houston wearing your bandana with all the peace signs on it and then use a generic Roundup and think that's ok because it doesn't say Roundup.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I brought my first tomatoes to market yesterday. I could have had them three weeks ago if I picked green and gassed. I won't do it because I don't want to sell something that does not taste good.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Oh, AND PLEASE bring SMALL bills for your purchase. I had a customer this week wanting 20.00 worth of produce and pulled out a $100.00 bill. Change? what change? I am sorry you'll have to spend it all.
Old June 17, 2013   #23
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I got a kick out of this thread, while I'm not a farmer I can empathize. I've seen the behavior of shoppers at the farmer's markets and some of them need a kick in the pants. Especially the old ladies who squeeze tomatoes to a pulp, and douchy hipsters quizzing the farmers with 100 questions on organic growing methods as if they wrote the book about it. Oy vey....

Anyway, I'd like to thank the farmers for supplying me with delicious, high quality tomatoes over the numerous summers.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #24
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

First farmer's market of year for me (shopper) tomorrow. I shall NOT touch the tomatoes and will bring small bills
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #25
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Oh, AND PLEASE bring SMALL bills for your purchase. I had a customer this week wanting 20.00 worth of produce and pulled out a $100.00 bill. Change? what change? I am sorry you'll have to spend it all.
No sympathy from me. I hope he did spend it all in one place!

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Old June 17, 2013   #26
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnhanasmom View Post
First farmer's market of year for me (shopper) tomorrow. I shall NOT touch the tomatoes and will bring small bills
You are cherished! Thank you for your thoughtfulness.

My customer did not spend it all...rats!
Old June 18, 2013   #27
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
The real problem with markets is us, the sellers.

Many outright lie to customers, many create confusion, and many have no sense of fair play or integrity.

For example, one market I work here rolls like this:

Hours are 2-6. A couple vendors show up at 12, meet people early, and then keep doing it. Telling customers to come early to get their best stuff.

Isn't there a board that oversees the operation of the market? It would seem that having a few vendors arriving early in order to take business away from others is not how the market is supposed to work. OTOH, if you show up two hours early, you get the 'best' stuff from that vendor and miss all the other vendors so the problem may 'fix' itself in time.

Old June 18, 2013   #28
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Oh yes, the change issue can be a challenge. $50 and $100 bills are a definite no-no for us vendors.

For years I've brought $50 in start-up money as fives and singles. But lately I have also had to bring $80 - 100 extra in my wallet in fives and tens to make change for the constant stream of twenties. It's alright as long as there are other customers in between. But 3 or 4 twenties in a row and I'm often out of change.

The Twenty issue is due to the fact that there are at least 3 or 4 ATM machines around the Capitol square where people get more money as they shop. Actually great for us vendors as people don't go home when they are out. Or ask if we take a check, always a bit risky.

As far as the hours issue -- unless there is a governing entity that actually cares, there isn't much you can do about that. Other than like my market that opens so early, 6 AM, that no one wants to push it earlier.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #29
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I feel for people dealing with the public and the politics of some of the farmers markets.

I'm annoyed by our largest 'farmer's market' here. They have set up the rules in such a way that it's difficult for actual farmers to sell there, so it has become more of craft fair and additional retail outlet for various local businesses,

I miss the farmers market in Baltimore. There was a craft portion there, but it was just at one end of the market and the rest was mostly producers.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #30
lycoperson
Tomatovillian™

I actually appreciate large bills later in the market, just not at 7 am. At the end of the day it's easier to count 20 hundred dollar bills rather than 100 twenty dollar bills! Smaller growers can't break big bills as easily as bigger growers, so the savvy shoppers have close to exact change for the smaller growers and break the bigger bills elsewhere.
lycoperson is offline   Reply With Quote