Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 19, 2007   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

One of the great mysteries of gardening life - plants fine one day, great big pieces of plants missing and 3 inch long, half inch thick hornworms munching happily along training great clumps of poop the next day.

So, over the past week, it was all fine, then Tomato Spotted Wilt, then Japanese Beetles, then the dreaded hornworms - and today, the first stink bug!

so we are in the big race - setting, enlarging, hopefully - eventually - ripening fruit.....parallel to the assault of the bugs, the diseases, and searing weather.

Are we having fun yet?!?!
Old June 19, 2007   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

You seem to put a lot of work and care into your tomato project. May I suggest next year to find an elevated spot (deck, etc.) to place plants on. It seems being out on the driveway gives the bad guys (insects) a "level playing field" to attack you.

Putting them up on a deck or other platform may just make it more difficult for them to attack. Yes, I read Rommel's book!

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2007   #18
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey Ray - we used to put half a dozen or so on the deck. Guess what - our black lab was very happy as she selectively munched on the perfectly ripe specimens while we were off doing something elsewhere in the yard! (and now we have 2 chocolate labs who would love us forever if we resumed our deck tomato growing!).

Alas, we also had hornworms, stink bugs, Japanese Beetles, and Fusarium Wilt even when they were on the deck.

Just all part of the joys and annual challenges of tomato growing in the south (things were so much easier when we lived/gardened in Pennsylvania!!!)
Old June 20, 2007   #19
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

I feel you pain, we have insects out here in California, though I am sure not as bad as you do. I'll be in Raleigh / Burlington next weekend for a family reunion (brother-in-law manages the Raleigh Water District; 86 yr. old father-in-law in Burlington is a Bataan Death March survivor from WW2).

Anyway, have you looked into screening in a reduced number of plants to protect against bugs? I know that won't help with Wilt, but at least you could protect against the critters... Lowes / Home Depot sells pre-fab screen rooms that you could nest your plants in while they are producing tomatoes.

Ray

Last edited by rnewste; June 20, 2007 at 12:57 AM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote