Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 7, 2011   #1
JaneMartin
Tomatovillian™

Default Is this landscape fabric is the right one to use?

Please help. I am a first time "planter". I've been studying most of the subjects here on mix, fertilizer, etc...
Today I stopped by HomeDepot and bought all of the "ingredients" including the landscape fabric.Just finished 2 earthboxes at 8:00PM.

I then wanted to test the water absorbent on these fabrics and seemed like it does not let water thru. Am I buying the right ones? It is "landscape fabric Pro 15 years" stuff. The link is here

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=6640

Thanks.
JaneMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

No, No, Noooo!!! That is the WRONG stuff. The ONLY recommended Landscape Fabric in the EarthTainer Guide is the DuPont 15 year Landscape Fabric. I used the Home Depot the first year, and it was terrible at preventing roots from going down into the water reservoir.

Excuse my frustration, but what part of the EarthTainer Guide stating to use the DuPont fabric from Lowes was confusing? I even put a photograph of the label of the DuPont roll in the Guide to eliminate ANY confusion.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #3
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

if you get the the commercial grade
and not there cheaper one at homedepot
it is just as good and will last just as
long as dupont's i have used both of
them and i canot see any difference
between them, good luck.

les
les matzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #4
JaneMartin
Tomatovillian™

Sorry. I was only remembered the "Landscape fabric 15years" when i went to HomeDepot for the groundcover. I was so excited to find one and did not know the differences. That was my big mistake. I should have written down.

Thanks for letting me know now so it can be corrected intime. I will redo the boxes tomorrow. Thanks again

Jane
JaneMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #5
BruceinGa
Tomatovillian™

I have a question on this subject. Would silt fencing be appropriate for use to block weeds in a garden? I have plenty at my disposal and am thinking it would be perfect.
Any Thoughts?
BruceinGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Bruce,

I am not familiar with silt fencing - but what you want is a very fine mesh to prevent / inhibit roots from going down into the water reservoir, while at the same time, be water permeable so that water can wick through it from the wicking basket.

Easiest "test" is to fill a standalone wicking basket with moist Mix; place one or 2 sections of the Landscape Fabric on top of the domed Mix, then add a thin layer of dry Mix on top of the fabric. come back a few hours later and see if the moisture has transpired through the fabric up to the dry Mix.

Raybo
Old March 28, 2012   #7
BruceinGa
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old March 29, 2012   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Do not forget to read the directions.Usually the shiny side goes up and the dull side down.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2012   #9
BruceinGa
Tomatovillian™

I tried some landscape fabric made by the Master Gardner Company of Spartenbrg, Sc. I cut a couple of pieces about 1 foot square, made a depression in the ground and filled with about a cup of water. It took 4 hours to let the water through. One test piece had the shiny side up and the other shiny side down. No difference.
I then tried the silt fence material, the water immediately went through.
Since I already had the landscape fabric down I just cut back about 6" from around each plant. I'll probably use the silt fence material for the rest of my plants.
Old April 10, 2012   #10
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Thats weird,Never had that problem.For the heck of it I went to that site and there was mention of the fabric having a possibility of positive electrical at first.Go figure.Also for that product both sides are the same.Well we learn something new everyday.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #11
LBlala
Tomatovillian™

Don't mean to raise a dead horse or whatever, but... I'm building my 1st EarthTainer & want to get it right... The only place the Dupont LanscapePlus fabric seems to exist is through someone on Ebay selling 4 rolls for $100... Websites for Lowes, home depot, Ace, and my local places don't have it. The Dupont website doesn't seem to mention it, maybe they've discontinued or changed its name. I would have done the same as JaneMartin & bought one w/ a 15+ yr guarantee thinking that means good quality.. How to tell if one is as good as the Dupont one? Just one that says commercial grade? Thanks so much, sorry to rehash...
LBlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Try to find a brand which feels like stiff fabric - not like weaved cloth which is limp. Best way I can describe it.

Don't spend a lot of time (and money) in any event, as the Landscape Fabric is of secondary benefit in keeping roots from growing down into the water reservoir. Even without the fabric, the EarthTainer will grow a nice crop of tomatoes. The fabric helps improve the taste of the tomatoes by not letting them go "hydroponic".

Raybo
Old May 22, 2012   #13
LBlala
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!! Of course after hours of reading through posts I just found again the post where you all discuss specific materials (post #190 in the "The New EarthTainer III "Convertible".." thread) I knew I'd read someone else who'd not been able to find it either... Thanks I'll grab some nylon non cloth type stuff. Glad I don't have to haggle over ebay for the last 4 rolls, & to stop stressing
Old May 22, 2012   #14
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I had to buy a 100ft roll. Haha. I have plenty, let me know. Maybe I could mail it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old May 22, 2012   #15
LBlala
Tomatovillian™

Haha if the next trip to the store (tonight!!) isn't successful I might be at that point, but hopin not now that I am more sure of what to look for. Hope my lil plants can wait for me to get things together.... Oh, the pressure! Lol