Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 6, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default EarthTainer Cage Extension - - For The Cage Extension - Yikes! (pics)

Just when I thought I was "done" for the Season, wouldn't you know it but the dumb tomato plants are outgrowing their cages! I had figured with the new "Convertible" cage system, that 60 inches would be more than enough to house most of the Varieties - - but NOOOO! They have a mind of their own:

So here it is, the first week in June and I've got to make a decision. "Top the plants, or do something else". So I said to myself: "Self, you can't just start cutting off the tops of these plants this early in the Season".

So, out comes the Sabre Saw, and I take new 32 inch cages and Whack them down the middle to form two 16 inch extension cages:

If you cut them above the second horizontal rung, they divide in half pretty nicely:

While adding a 15 inch extension to the base and existing cage extension doesn't sound like a lot, going from 60 inches to now 75 inches is a 25% increase in height and volume:

So now, I *think* I am done for the Season - - but there will likely be something that unexpectedly crops up next week....

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #2
VitaVeggieMan
Tomatovillian™

That's good to know Ray. I've got a few spare Pea Fences I can use to extend the cage on my EarthTainer III. I did notice the cage on the old EarthTainer II is considerably taller, and in past years, my cherry tomatoes have even outgrown them. Our season is a little behind yours, but I'm hoping to have this "problem" soon. My biggest tom at this point is an Early Goliath which is doing it's best to fill up the double Glamos cage on the ET II. I've got some flowers, but no fruit yet except on a few smaller cherries (Maskotka, Tumbling Tom, Lizzano).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tomatoes-2.jpg (332.1 KB, 17 views)
VitaVeggieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2011   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

You are right that the height of the cage system in the old EarthTainer was a little taller however, the "cone" narrowed down quite a bit at the top. With the rectangular EarthTainer III cage system, even with the basic 60 inch setup, you will have a larger volumetric area containing the tomatoes.

The additional half-height extension should actually exceed the height of the older design, and again, volume-wise should house a lot more tomatoes for you. If you make the addition, be sure to anchor the first extension cage to the base cage with 4 Wire Rope Clips front and 4 Wire Rope Clips on the back legs:

On the top extension cage, only the 2 Clips front and 2 back are necessary.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote