Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 28, 2008   #1
aggiemom42
Tomatovillian™

Default Houston

Any advice for growing tomatoes in the Houston area. My plants are big, lots of flowers, but that's it.
thanks,
aggiemom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sure, start very early and expect the worst.

The Davis mountains in Texas is the best place to grow tomatoes.

Cool nights and very low humidity.

You cant get that in Houston and that is your problem.

Start your plants in December and put them out in February at about 18 inches tall and you will do OK.

Don't plant types that don't produce well even in the best of climates as it will be a disappointment.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2008   #3
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

Aggiemom42,

Houston can be a challenge but you can grow bushels of all types, colors and sizes of tomatoes! See the pictures that Feldon took of my garden last year or better yet come for a visit in May.

Worth is right you should plan to start your seeds between now and the end of the year. Plant in Feb if you can (weather depending) but not later that March 15th. I target March 1st to have all of mine all in the ground.

Deer Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2008   #4
aggiemom42
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the reply Deer Park. I will try again in Feb. I think I also need to improve my soil.
aggiemom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2008   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

aggiemom,

Suze and I are working on articles on growing tomatoes in S.E. Texas. We're kind of stalled on the design of the site right now, but the articles are mostly written. We'll post in the SETTFest forum and other places when it's ready to go.

I start seeds January 1st and plant tomatoes March 1-10th depending on overnight temps (forget the weather man, he's an idiot, check WUnderground.com) in well-amended soil.

Deer Park,

Good to hear from you! I hope the garden is coming back together and not too much damage from Ike. I hope I can do another visit in the spring.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote