Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 8, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tomato Seeds and Heat

I started 18 tomato seeds, back on May 5. I planted them in a seed starting tray just like I did back in January. But this time, I put the trays out in full sunlight outside. The temperatures were in the 70s with a lot of rain. The seeds sprouted, I removed the lid and put them in an open faced barn. They did great. I planted 12 tomato plants in a garden yesterday evening. They look healthy.

Now, to the question part...

I did the same thing on June 1. I put the tray out in partial sun (90F) for 4 days. On June 5, I went to water them from the bottom of course. When I lifted the lid - heat poured out like a sauna. The pro mix was hot and dry. I watered and brought the seed cell tray inside. Today is June 8, and there is no sign of any plants coming up.

I'm thinking that I basically cooked the seeds. Should I replant? They are inside now in 72F air-conditioned settings with a florescent light just above the seed cell lid. (Same as I did back in January)

All or any advice and opinions are very welcomed.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I started 18 tomato seeds, back on May 5. I planted them in a seed starting tray just like I did back in January. But this time, I put the trays out in full sunlight outside. The temperatures were in the 70s with a lot of rain. The seeds sprouted, I removed the lid and put them in an open faced barn. They did great. I planted 12 tomato plants in a garden yesterday evening. They look healthy.

Now, to the question part...

I did the same thing on June 1. I put the tray out in partial sun (90F) for 4 days. On June 5, I went to water them from the bottom of course. When I lifted the lid - heat poured out like a sauna. The pro mix was hot and dry. I watered and brought the seed cell tray inside. Today is June 8, and there is no sign of any plants coming up.

I'm thinking that I basically cooked the seeds. Should I replant? They are inside now in 72F air-conditioned settings with a florescent light just above the seed cell lid. (Same as I did back in January)

I know of more people than you can imagine who cook their seeds when they have been sown in something with a dome/lid.

Partial shade with 90 F will cook them.

If they haven't come up by now, and you should know how long it takes for the seeds you sow to germinate, then they probably won't.

I don't know your weather either but if it were me I'd resow ASAP and keep them under lights inside, no domes pretty please.

If using domes one end should always be propped open to allow for good airflow.

Better still, consider never using any domes at all.

Carolyn
Old June 8, 2015   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

They were probably cooked. Had some pepper seeds that happened to. I never had luck starting outdoors in summer in AZ. However, I have a lot of seed that had been stored outdoors for 5 years and had almost 100% germination this year. They do much better if not planted and kept dry I guess.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you both. I'll replant after posting this.

Carolyn, I had wondered about the lid part myself. Off it goes.
Old June 8, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt you can literally cook a roast under a seed dome this time of year.
I saw a TV program where a woman put a roast in a roasting pan with onions potatoes and carrots on the dash of her car (A Cadillac) at work.
At the end of the day the meal was ready for supper.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #6
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Salt you can literally cook a roast under a seed dome this time of year.
I saw a TV program where a woman put a roast in a roasting pan with onions potatoes and carrots on the dash of her car (A Cadillac) at work.
At the end of the day the meal was ready for supper.

Worth
Saves energy, I suppose... over here, we need solar panels in order to turn sunlight into electricity ..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Saves energy, I suppose... over here, we need solar panels in order to turn sunlight into electricity ..
I dont think I would want my car to smell like a kitchen.
When I was growing up and to this day I was not allowed to eat anyplace but the dinning room or outside.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #8
shule1

Humidity domes aren't all bad, though. I use milk jugs with the bottom cut out to protect plants from frost, and the plants like it until some time in June (when it gets too hot). As long as it's cool, they should be okay, but 90° F. is probably too hot for that. I think I cooked a watermelon plant like that last year. I do make sure to throw the cap away (plants do need air for transpiration or something, I've read). Around here, the change from the jugs being a good thing to a bad thing seems to be pretty sudden. So, you have to be careful if you don't remove them early.

Anyway, in cooler whether, the milk jugs are very effective at protecting against frost, and the plants grow much faster inside them for some reason.

Last edited by shule1; February 13, 2016 at 02:36 AM.
Old February 13, 2016   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I had forgotten about this thread. I did finally figure out how to germinate seeds for our fall garden and this thread is a big part of what taught me how.

When the time comes later this year, I'll make a new thread with pictures. Basically, the seeds never go inside - they germinate/grow already hardened off. The thread will be in early June 2016.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 13, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old February 13, 2016   #10
shule1

@AlittleSalt

Awesome. I look forward to reading about it.
Old February 14, 2016   #11
loulac
Tomatovillian™

AlittleSalt wrote:
Quote:
Let’s not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Lids/domes can be quite useful but as they must be watched constantly few people are able to keep an eye on them all day long. The problem can be solved : if we put 2 small wedges under one side of the lid we’ll lose heat in the early morning and late evening but avoid reaching high temperatures when the sun is high. A space half an inch wide seems to work nicely. Why not give it a try, it’s free !
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2016   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Loulac, yes it does work. Watching them all day is important. The amount of dappled shade is also important.