Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 23, 2013   #1
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper Plant Size

Does ayone know of a database on peppers that descibes the height of the various pepper palnts. Most descriptions talk about the heat or size of the pepper fruit but lack the plant size which is important in determining if and what size pot to put them in or to plant them in the ground with plenty of room.
Old April 23, 2013   #2
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Good question, would like to know also
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #3
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

riceke,
You can check out thechilieman.org
They have a database that you look at or search for almost every type of chilis. The descriptions mostly include the size of the fruit and many give the size of the plant. Hope this helps a little.
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #4
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Cross Country Nurseries gives the height of most of their plants too. www.chileplants.com

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2013   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I am always amazed at the differences in size of pepper plants of the same variety growing in the same garden. A lot of people like to plant peppers fairly close together but I don't. I have too many variations in size and like to allow at least 3 feet between bell peppers. Last year I had a King Arthur bell pepper plant that reached a height of nearly 10 feet while at the other end of the same short row I had two plants of the same variety that never got over 3 feet tall. I have had this happen with many different varieties and when they are planted too close sometimes these giant plants just totally smoother the ones on each side of them. I have found that removing the first couple of peppers when the plant is still small generally helps the plant get larger in the long run. I don't know what other factors cause some plants to grow so much faster than others even with identical care; but since we have a very long growing season for peppers it has worked out better for me to give them a bit more room. Since you will also have a long growing season I think your plants might fair better with a bit more room also.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

How about Jimmy Nardello, how much room do they need? Also do they need summer shade or full sun?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2013   #7
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Stvrob,
Here's some info for the Jimmy Nardello's Pepper from the SSE Site.

Pepper, Jimmy Nardello's
(Capsicum annuum) Given to SSE by Jimmy Nardello whose mother brought the seeds to the U.S. when she immigrated with her husband Guiseppe from the Basilicata region of Italy in 1887. One of the very best for frying, delicious roasted apple flavor. Productive plants are loaded with glossy red 10" long peppers. Very popular within SSE circles. 80-90 days from transplant. SWEET
START INDOORS
8 weeks before last frost
GERMINATION: 14 Days
PLANT OUTDOORS: 12-24" Apart
LIGHT: Full Sun

Sow seeds indoors ¼" deep. Peppers germinate best in warm soil, so gentle bottom heat may be helpful until seedlings emerge. Wait to transplant outdoors until soil is warm.
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote