Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 13, 2006   #31
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

I moved mine outside today, they have been taking regular trips out, but I don't dare leave them out due to vandals (
Our neighorhood got hit a couple of weeks ago, they got our car. I would of had to have tied someone up and beat them daily if they had got my tomatoes because they were outside. )

But my husband cleaned the garage yesterday so now I can take all my plants there at night, which means no more stairs YIPEEE...jumps up and clicks heels together!!
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2006   #32
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

re:

I would of had to have tied someone up and beat them daily if they had got my tomatoes because they were outside.

re:
lol ~
That is so funny ~ I think, lol ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2006   #33
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman
We moved about 1000 seedlings the first week
WOWSA.... you mean you SOLD 1000 plants your first week at market???!!!! That is incredible!

Lisa
Old April 14, 2006   #34
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Half at the market, half email and phone orders, pick ups at the house - and another 500 this week....tomorrow will be a big day at the market! I am having problems actually providing sizeable plants, since they are going when still really small. Brandywine, Sungold and Cherokee Purple are flying outtahere.

My feet, knees, and back hurt from moving around trays of seedlings!
Old April 16, 2006   #35
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

Will you pay off your mortgage in six years?
moucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2006   #36
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Nope! Actually, my current goal is to do this on a larger scale when I retire (55 sounds nice - 4.5 more years - but will it be possible?) - go from the corporate world into the nursery business, specializing in heirlooms and unusuals.

I can dream!
Old April 17, 2006   #37
Tomaddict
Tomatovillian™

I read with interest how you guys pre-wet your potting mix. That's unnecessary - I transplant into dry mix. Like Craig, after filling the pots with potting mix, I use a finger to make a hole, then insert the seedling (not delicately removed from the bunch - growing a couple dozen in a small cell from seed) and add a bit of potting mix to fill in the gaps. The pots all go into a flat, then I add about a half gallon of water (remove a pot, pour in water, add back that removed pot) and let them soak it up. They'll be all hydrated within a half hour. Never lost a seedling that wasn't somehow damaged) with this method, but of course you'll want the seedlings in the cell to be moistened (not saturated) when you transplant them, so the roots aren't dried out.

100 or more per hour? Not me - probably only half that. I spend too much time dinking around (counting seedlings to determine germination rates, entering numbers into my database, etc.)

jeff
Old April 19, 2006   #38
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

gee craig that photo of your driveway is amazing! you are amazing!
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2006   #39
Delora
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaddict
I read with interest how you guys pre-wet your potting mix. That's unnecessary - I transplant into dry mix. Like Craig, after filling the pots with potting mix, I use a finger to make a hole, then insert the seedling (not delicately removed from the bunch - growing a couple dozen in a small cell from seed) and add a bit of potting mix to fill in the gaps. The pots all go into a flat, then I add about a half gallon of water (remove a pot, pour in water, add back that removed pot) and let them soak it up. They'll be all hydrated within a half hour.
jeff
I tried a couple this year where I used dry mix, and it never did hydrate (just stayed pooled on the top of the pot for 24hrs until I dumped it off). I spent quite a bit of time stirring mix with water in buckets in order to get it saturated before adding it to pots.

What mix do you use Jeff?

-Delora
Delora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2006   #40
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Metro Mix and Fafard absorbs water quickly - we use warm water, it absorbs right in with no delay at all.