Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 25, 2017   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Posting here so I can come back tonight.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #17
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Nice to see your update. Plans have a way of changing.

It looks like you have either the Dewitt Sunbelt or Pro5. Is it fuzzy on the bottom side?

I bought the 250 ft roll and there is no way I could manage to roll it out. I have it stranding vertically and just cut off a slice as I need it. Its good to know it held up all those years as they describe. I read that if you use a flame to cut it, it would seal and fray less.

Aren't raised beds awesome? I like your idea of supplementing with containers for herbs.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #18
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Nice to see your update. Plans have a way of changing.

It looks like you have either the Dewitt Sunbelt or Pro5. Is it fuzzy on the bottom side?

I bought the 250 ft roll and there is no way I could manage to roll it out. I have it stranding vertically and just cut off a slice as I need it. Its good to know it held up all those years as they describe. I read that if you use a flame to cut it, it would seal and fray less.

Aren't raised beds awesome? I like your idea of supplementing with containers for herbs.

- Lisa

It's not either of the ones you mentioned and it was just plastic, there is no fuzzy side. It's just called polypropylene ground cover designed to use in retail and can be walked on. It also doesn't need to be covered with mulch. I did not want anything that required me to put mulch down so I wouldn't be walking on uneven surfaces with my arthritis.

I bought the one that is like this one, but the number was different as I could tell when I found my original order receipt in my email. I was also able at the time to order it by the foot and it was 12' wide, so I ordered just 44' of 12' wide material. This looks like I have to order the whole darn roll, and I don't need 300 feet of barrier. I don't think it will last 20 years but it is UV stabilized to allow for continuous sun exposure. In the long run it will cost us more but makes it easy to walk out to the garden and do what I need to do. We also don't leave dirt piles on it, we sweep it so weed seeds have less chance of taking hold. When I am working with new soil I put down a nice thick brown on one side and silver on the other side tarp which makes clean up much easier, and I can dump the spillage into my soil storage container.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/p...ground-cover/s

I love my garden, especially now that all the structures have been worked on so hard this past few weeks. It is nice having the ability to plant just about anything I want now. I still need to figure out where to plant that darn watermelon though.

And I will be ordering some of these for sure. I think they will last a very long time. We didn't actually use them in the original setup. We used the cinder blocks to hold down the center meeting place for the two 12' wide pieces we overlapped to each other with the plans to make sure containers were on that overlapped line. Then we edged the whole area with 2x6's to hold it in. The area was already edged with 2x4's from the people before us and it looks like they had a pool there. So the barrier is held between 2x4's underneath and 2x6's over the top making it wind proof, but not weed wacker proof.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ANZQRBODPRK12

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; April 25, 2017 at 11:50 AM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #19
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that is Dewitt Sunbelt. I clicked on the Ground Cover Spec Sheet PDF in your link. Good to hear it is holding up in the Texas sun. I used staples like that from the local landscape supply. I wish the cover was by the foot too.

My project is only one year old, and no weeds yet. I'm extending the area by covering with cardboard now. The weather has been really cool lately. It will take longer than last year.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2017   #20
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Greenthumb, I'm glad yours is doing well also and I didn't see the name of the product because I didn't click on the link, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017   #21
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

landscape material always frays on me and gets caught up in my weed whacker, it also breaks down and gets "holy" over short period of time. the weeds here are diligent and usually find a way to penetrate. 1/4 to dust gravel works well and easy on the foot and cheap if you have means of transport. packs down real good.

I also ran across some conveyor belt for free that has held up over 20 years outside and use it to park my trailer and boat on.

I am kinda of going through a pea gravel phase last 2y, love it underfoot and acts as a drain with pots on top. might be a good top for the fabric. bare fabric on the ground is not aesthetically pleasing to me eye.

have fun.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote