Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 20, 2013   #1
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tried to perfect environment

In Alaska the cost effectiveness of starting tomatoes early is usually not worth it, so most like myself, migrated to early varieties that produce decent tomatoes during a lackluster AK summer. We always looked for varieties that will work reliably and fit an AK environment. Yah right! For the good stuff, trying beefsteaks, etc. usually resulted in 3-10 ugly tomatoes that did not taste that great anyway.
This year I changed my thinking, finally, and figured out a way to tailor my environment, INSTEAD, to better suit the famous strains I usually only got to read about, and my results have been excellent.
First; I have many acres of wood and to save on gas heat, put in a wood furnace that utilizes duct for its transfer of heat. I ran a stem down the middle and both sides, along the floor under benches, and a stem under a water tank to heat my 42 degree well water to something more comfortable to a strain from West Virginia, let say. At 85,000 btu's, the stove helped to eliminate the cold dead air pockets in my greenhouse, and saved a fortune on heat. I put the plants in smart pots on benches above the duct, which also kept their roots toasty. I also found I could raise the temperature of 300 gallons of water about 25-30 degrees over night, and I think that was a major factor in my results. The stove also has two chambers so the exterior is not that hot, I have plants growing all around it.
The downfall; hard work, get up in 20 below zero at 4.00 am to stock a stove with wood, cut and haul wood, hard too.
Good part; I can get decent yields off of Brandywines, and great yields off of others never attempted, nothing disappointed yield wise, had several upside suprises though.
Here is something else I have pondered, I honestly think cold Alaskan nights affect the taste of some southern type tomatoes, on a vine, just like a fridge does a picked one. What do others in colder climates like mine think of this? I made sure my gas heat clicked on at 63 degrees, and I am happy with the taste of all but 3 out of 44 tested so far this year, and some are just like the ad said, deeeelicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0461.jpg (302.2 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0462.jpg (339.7 KB, 231 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote