Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2006   #1
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Default The Winner!!!!!!!---Caspian Pink

Now this really surprised me.........planted 60 varieties this February and I just ate my first large mater for the year and its Caspian Pink........I really didnt think it would be Caspian Pink but it outran all other maters by a mile. I have been feasting on smaller maters like early girl, silvery fir and jet setter for a month.
Anyone else find Caspian Pink to be a quick setter?
Cheers
Chuck B
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Nope, not a quick setter for me at all, and actually not one of my favorite large pinks either.

The PR that Petoseed came up with for Caspian Pink was so overboard that it was ridiculous, in kmy opinion.

Beat Brandywine in taste tests before they even released the seeds?

If you want to read an intersting article about what went on behind the scene with repspect to this variety go to the National Gardening site where they have many articles they kept from previous issues after National Gardening had to quit publishing b'c the parent Co went bankrupt, and look for that article.

It's really worth reading to see the kinds of stuff that goes on in the seed world.
Old May 20, 2006   #3
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,
I went looking for the article you mentioned but can't seem to locate it.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Click here for the Caspian Pink article

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006   #5
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mischka, much obliged.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The problem is that the article Mischka linked to isn't the article I was referring to.

The article I'm referring to was written by Mike MacCaskey, former editor of National Gardening magazine.

Between about 2 and 4 AM this morning I tried desperately to find it, but couldn't. It was once at the NGA site where they have many articles taken from National Gardening Magazine after it had to shut down following the bankruptcy of the parent company.

I found my article on Tomatoes Diseases there, but not the other one on Caspian Pink. They had approached certain authors and asked permission to keep and post those articles publically in return for $50. I said fine, but I guess some authors didn't want to give up rights to what they wrote as I understand it. That doesn't bother me one bit; I took the cash.

Anyhoo, I then started laboriously going thru my old e-mails, I refuse to tell you how many, and finally found one from Mike that he wrote to folks he knew when the magazine had to close. So I now have his home number and e-mail address and so help me, I WILL find that article, yes I will. But I may wait until I get home from rehab b'c my mind is really quite elsewhere right now.

You saw in the article that Warren Schultz wrote that Totally Tomatoes was given initial exclusive rights to Caspian Pink, but Warren didn't tell you why. Aha, and there is a why and wherefore and more.

BTW Warren's brother John ran a wonderful nursery in the area where I was raised and while I knew John quite well I never did know Warren, who didn't stay at home on the family farm, which became a well regarded nursery.
Old May 21, 2006   #7
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

WOW..........talk about opening a can of worms! I cant say that I was too impressed with the taste of it either........I wont be growing it next year, which is the purpose of planting so many varieties this year.
Chuck B
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote